• Register Today It's free!

where is the HEAT?!

98Explorerant

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC XLT
The vent air on my explorer is not blowing warm, it was working last night just fine. Today I was working on re-installing the interior cargo panels (after working on my rocker panels) and noticed the heat was not getting warm, have not found any fuses blown but not really sure which one if any I should be looking at. As the explorer gets up to temperature I feel the hose closest to the passenger side warm some but not the other side which makes me think there is either something blocking the heater core or that there is a motor that circulates the coolant to the heater core I should be looking at. I have a 1,300 mile trip planned this weekend =( HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heater control valve not working? (vacuum operated).

I did change the pcv 3 days ago... Koda200, I will look into that in the morning, if so thanks a LOT!!!

I did change the pcv 3 days ago... Koda200, I will look into that in the morning, if so thanks a LOT!!!

you may have knocked the vacuum hose off the control valve actuator, or broken the line. it's in the same general area as the PCV valve/hoses. one thing I've learned over the years is that the last thing you touched is probably the last thing you f'd up.

one thing I've learned over the years is that the last thing you touched is probably the last thing you f'd up.

That’s why I don’t touch anything.

could also be a blend door problem. Sometimes when I'm running the heat/defrost I have to quick tap my brake while moving/stopping to "Flip" the blend door ( i can hear it flop over) to circulate the hot air or it will continue to blow cold air. Some what annoying but since I've figured out what to do to get heat not really worth fixing till a later date.

could also be a blend door problem. Sometimes when I'm running the heat/defrost I have to quick tap my brake while moving/stopping to "Flip" the blend door ( i can hear it flop over) to circulate the hot air or it will continue to blow cold air. Some what annoying but since I've figured out what to do to get heat not really worth fixing till a later date.

OP stated that only one of the heater core hoses was hot to the touch. While the blend door is a weak point, its malfunction doesn't effect heater hose temp.

On the highway the heat worked, it has not been while idling in the driveway, is this a sign of the water pump on it's way out or the serpentine belt being loose? Anyone have any other ideas on this?

Back