where is the oil filter and drain plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where is the oil filter and drain plug

littleharv93

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 f150 xlt
where is the oil filter and drain plug in a 1994 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil filter is on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine and the drain plug is on the side of the oil pan (the bottom part of the engine). Good Luck!

The oil filter is vertical and is on the passenger side, near the rear of the tire. You can see the oil filter mount here. It is Green in this pic and has a yellow bolt holding it onto the side of the block.

2343573777_26e65227d8_b.jpg

The oil drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan near the back of the engine. I don't have a pic of it though.

~Mark

Mark... That is a SERIOUSLY Crayolafied Engine! Very *****en!

Mark, how did you get such a "pretty" mock-up; or is that a real motor you painted for us

[hijack]
Thats a real motor..

That is the one in the Explorer..

Here's a pic of it right after it was installed.
2343573981_581a33c695_b.jpg

The next motor I "legofied" was in the tow rig. Here it is right after it was dropped in but before all of accessories were intalled.

3666887600_5c4301140c_b.jpg

I use duplicolor engine paint. There are quite a few colors available.. I tried to use ford and dodge colors only.

[/hijack]:)
~Mark

nice engine i plan on painting my upper intake manifold now that i have to do my head gasket

what are those brass circles on the side of the block? looks like 1 per cylinder

Those are Freeze plugs.. Also called Expansion plugs. They are in the water jacket and if they corrode they leak coolant.

~Mark

Old thread I know, but your lego-fied paint scheme just helped me locate and create a mental picture worth a thousand words. Excellent idea. Helps to spot components and helps source fluid leaks. Thanks!!!

On the explorer motor I never removed the Cam so I never hot tanked it to clean it off enough for that.. I was sort of in a hurry since the X was a DD back then and the block still looked decent. After it was said and done, I did wish I had more time to do some other things including paint the block. Keep in mind, this is a wheeling rig with no inner fenderwells. It gets very dirty in there and it is by no means a show piece :)

On the 460 van motor I did hot tank it (was a complete rebuild) and did paint the block silver/gray. It did come out nicer with the block painted.

~Mark

EDIT: I did add some more color to it later on. Here is a somewhat recent (dirty) pic of the engine bay (9/2010)
4949942261_66f08eac3a_z.jpg

Just a recent under hood shot by maniak_az, on Flickr

Back