• Register Today It's free!

Auto Transmission drain plug

bluestream

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4X4 SOHC
I am planing to remove the pan on my transmission to change the filter, and would like to add a drain plug. Is there any location on the pan that the drain plug should be located, or any location that should be avoided? I also wondered if the "bolt in" B&M drain plugs are safe to use, or should I use a welded in plug?

Thanks in advance!

bluestream:

If there is a sump in the bottom of the pan, then put the drain plug there. Both my X & stang pans have sumps, so that's where I put the plug.

If you have a flat bottom pan (no sump) then find a location near the back of the pan, check with the pan off for any clearance problems with the valve body. This way you can elevate the front end of the truck and fluid will drain back.

Send me a pm with your e-mail address and I can send you a pic of the plug installed in my stang.

i have had the B&M plug on mine for 2 years now. still doesnt leak.

I just installed a B&M today. All it is, is a bolt that has a bolt inside of it. Then there is a nut that goes on the back of the big bolt to keep it in place. You can get the generic versions at any parts store too. My 98 has a round sump dead in the center that is perfect for a drain. Why they just didn't install one from the factory is beyond me. :rolleyes: Im glad I installed it though, because even though I will probably still drop the pan to change the filter, at least it will be empty when I do it.

Back