• Register Today It's free!

Where should I begin???

irtySanchez

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I want to first say it is a beautiful day in Columbus!! It is about 65 degrees and sunny. This in turn is giving me "work on the Exploder fever." I have a few hundred $ to play with ($350- $450.) Want to make some mods to my baby. Lets start with the basics:

My 94 XLT has 127,000 miles on it. The body is in tip top shape. Not a flaw outside except a little rust spot on the front bumper. Internally is very sound also. It runs perfect. The tranny is the original (which does prompt a little concern. It does need a tune up soon. I recently replaced the passenger radius arm and then installed a set of Monroe Reflex shocks which I love. I do plan on keeping it for a few more years.

So here is what I am looking at:

1)Installing a Borla cat back system. Did some research and think this is my best exhaust option.

2)Letting her breathe a little. Install a new filter system.
No choice on brands yet.

3)Installing a Hypertech chip. I do drive very fast and hate when the speed governor kicks in (I know I know, Explorer's shouldn't go that fast, blah, blah, blah).

4)Installing a sound system. I already have a pricey Sony CD player with a 10 disc changer. A couple 10" subs and some new speakers up front would be just magical. Keep in mind music is my true first passion.

5)Leave it alone! I am a 24 year old college student with a good job. Blow the money on one good night of partying and never regret it. Only problem with that is I seem to do this every week.

So what does everyone think? Any of these good ideas? Anyone got some other suggestions? Feedback would be wonderful!

As my grandfather used to say: "Eat drink and be merry, for tommorow we may be at home."

Thanks Everyone!

Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You nailed it...

Originally posted by irtySanchez

5)Leave it alone! I am a 24 year old college student with a good job. Blow the money on one good night of partying and never regret it. Only problem with that is I seem to do this every week.

Yea, I know it's not what you wanted to hear. But, if you have the A4LD you better keep on saving for when it croaks...

Originally posted by irtySanchez

So what does everyone think? Any of these good ideas? Anyone got some other suggestions? Feedback would be wonderful!

It really is limited only by your (1) budget and (2) immagination.

Its your truck, do with it what makes YOU happy, don't worry about others.

Now for a few suggestions:
(1) KKM intake system
(2) Skip the expensive exhaust and go to a local exhaust shop and have a custom made cat back system

Good luck...

I agree with Al on the cat-back... You can get a killer Flowmaster with a turndown for about $150 and the sound is awesome. Much better than 400+/- for a Borla system.

I would consider doing polyurethane bushings if you like to drive that way. Maybe some heavier sway bars too. Spend a little time in the sport truck section here - there are great tips for roadies!

Jon

I think with $400 this is what you should do:
1) KKM or used KN filter system (I'm probably selling mine soon for cheap)
2) Custom Flowmaster or Magnaflow catback at a local shop
3) Replacement 5x7 (6x8) speakers in the front, maybe all 4

Originally posted by Alec
I think with $400 this is what you should do:
1) KKM or used KN filter system (I'm probably selling mine soon for cheap)
2) Custom Flowmaster or Magnaflow catback at a local shop
3) Replacement 5x7 (6x8) speakers in the front, maybe all 4

Why just the front, my brother said that would be foolish resulting in unnatural sound?

I forgot to mention that the front passenger speaker sound like it may be blown out.

Originally posted by JulieEx

Why just the front, my brother said that would be foolish resulting in unnatural sound?

I too have heard that its not recommended to change just the front door speakers, but I am by no means an audiophile.

Whats the scoop?

Do None Of The Above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start a Roth IRA Fund...

Simply go in to your bank and tell the teller that you want to start a Roth IRA. That $450 will be best spent there and do nothing to your Explorer. That 200$ borla system will cost you a helluva lot more in the long run... and you will get a better return on the IRA than the borla or supership or lift or etc.....

You get the point.

Qxa47e

Originally posted by aldive

I too have heard that its not recommended to change just the front door speakers, but I am by no means an audiophile.

Whats the scoop?

That's a bunch of crap. They're only used for rear fill anyway. I replaced the stock front 5x7s with MB Quartz and left the rear stockers and my system sounds killer (definately not "unnatural")...

Back