• Register Today It's free!

Where to begin?

SUV46

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Sport
OK, so I'm new to the Explorer thing and I've learned a lot from this forum already. Got a 95 Sport Expedition package a few months ago...the price was right! And it's got everything...grey leather/6 disc changer/power sun roof/power windows and doors/keyless entry/auto lights and rear view mirror. Already has 265-75-16's (no namers...getting BFG AT KO's for wedding present) K&N, 150K with engine rebuilt 40K ago, auto trans.

It will be a daily driver, with family sedan used to haul the family around (imagine that) but I would like to be able to hit the trails on the weekend and raise some eybrows from my friends with the J@@P's. I have been sitting back and reading/searching the posts so I didn't ask anything that's been asked many times before (GJarret's EVO post was great) but here goes...first some things that I've learned and then on to the questions:

1. Exibiting signs a dirty MAF (rough idle on hot start/check engine light after 10 mins of running) Learned how to fix from here...thnx

2. Doesn't want to shift into 4L...tried the tap with a mallet trick...shifted once, now won't shift into 4A or 4L....time to rebuild the shift motor (again, learned from here)

3. Rear Sag - Guess I'll try to level it by taking some out of the pass side torsion bar. (ditto)

4. Various dead dash lights. Probably live with them for the time being.

5. No Fogs - Light comes on on the switch but they don't work....haven't troubleshot them yet, but I'll start with a test light on the lights themselves, then move to the relay (under the airbox, right?) next...hopefully that will be all.

6. O/D won't switch on or off, unless I take the button out and put it back in...works for a little while then nothing again...new button should cure.

7. D4 code axles - 3.73 LS, right?

Now time for the questions!

1. The BFG's that I'm getting for free (have to be BFG's and since I'll be using it DD, think the MT would be too much) ...I like the tire size that's currently on there, but think if they are free, I could go bigger (I like wider, too). No problems with rub right now with no lift at all, but how big could I go if I did the TT and shackles? How much for the cost?

2. As far as the lift...which is better? The Ranger leaf swap, add a leaf or shackles? It currently only has the single rear leaf.

3. The rear seat is a 50/50 split with two seat belts...I've got kids and need 3 belts back there. Will a 60/40 bolt right in and what years would fit?

4. I really like the idea of a ratcheting floor shifter (B&M Quicksilver is my fav), but after searching and searching, can't seem to find anybody in teh forum who has done it successfully. Need the truck to look stock inside...I'll remove the column shifter lever and not worry about the hole or the indicator but everything else needs to look planned...not cobbled together...anybody who has done it, please respond.

5. The code for the keyless entry has been lost...the code is supposed to be on the computer module but is that under the dash or in the rear wheel well/Jack storage area? Can't seem to find any codes on the box back there and I thought that was for the 4WD.

Thanks in advance for any help...hopefully I'll see some of you off road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SUV46

7. D4 code axles - 3.73 LS, right?
3. The rear seat is a 50/50 split with two seat belts...I've got kids and need 3 belts back there. Will a 60/40 bolt right in and what years would fit?

5. The code for the keyless entry has been lost...the code is supposed to be on the computer module but is that under the dash or in the rear wheel well/Jack storage area? Can't seem to find any codes on the box back there and I thought that was for the 4WD.

Thanks in advance for any help...hopefully I'll see some of you off road.

7. D4=3.73LS

3. No 60/40 seat bolts up to a 50/50 mount.

5. In the cargo area jack storage, use a flashlight, mirror, and look as forward as you can inside the compartment.

The largest tire you could go with a TT and shackles would be 32X11.5X15. This may require some extensive fender trimming. The shackles usually run around $50.00. There are two good threads on how to do these:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

So sorry for the length of my initial post.

I've read the threads you mention and it's great information. The lift just confuses me as to where to start. Are the shackles the way to begin? The single rear leaf concerns me.

My torsion bars are "D" Will this cause a problem?

SUV46

i added a leaf from ranger kit, gave me about inch and 1/4 lift. It was perfect, for me.

Back