• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy used oil dipstick?

fgump

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
While changing spark plugs this weekend, the rachet spun and broke off the t-handle portion of the oil dipstick on my 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC. Ford wants $49 for it. Anyone know where else to find one, other than a junkyard?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might want to send Torrie at www.fordpartsnetwork.com an email. He can get you better prices on Ford factory parts than the dealer can. They are great to work with...I highly recommend them. Plus, they sponsor this site!!

Yeah, I gave him a shot...$41.99 instead of the $49 from Ford. Found it for $37.10 from fordpartsonline.com, plus $7.50 shipping. That still seems like a lot of cash for a freakin' piece of spring steel with plastic on the end!

Thanks for the heads-up though!

Bill

How 'bout a junkyard?? I know you have an '00, but I would think that several model years would use the same part. Although ya never know what they might have changed. Check with the dealer to see about model year compatibility.

My original message contained the line "Anyone know where else to find one, other than a junkyard?"

I already gave a few of them a shot around here, but no dice.

Bill

Sorry, missed that junkyard statement. Half awake :). If you just want to replace just the handle, JCWhitney and Summit offer universal replacement chrome handles for about $5-10.

Couldn't find a replacement handle for the dipstick, so I ordered one from Torrie at fordpartsnetwork.com. It was cheaper than the dealer, but they're having UPS shipment issues, and I still haven't received the item (ordered on 10/29!)

I'll post back with final outcome of this ordeal. Word to the wise-remove your dipstick when changing spark plugs!

Back