Where to find an air intake hose? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to find an air intake hose?

I wonder if one crafty doode could diy one using fuel hose for the center flattened section and universal end couplers and elbows.
I just today discovered major leaks in my intake hose. Given the dusty conditions, I have to find a permanent solution not tape ang silicone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if one crafty doode could diy one using fuel hose for the center flattened section and universal end couplers and elbows.
I just today discovered major leaks in my intake hose. Given the dusty conditions, I have to find a permanent solution not tape ang silicone.
I remember seeing threads of guys doing a cold air intake using black plumbing pipe, and thinking you could recreate a stock tube with the same pipe by heating and flattening the center section.

Hi my Air intake hose on my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 is missing the clamp near the MAF, and seems to intermittently air leak with predictable sour results. Due to issues like mentioned in this thread, Ford doesn't seem to make/sell these any more, and in fact I am only looking for the topside bracket or some call it clamp...

...not finding that easily, I was thinking maybe just get the whole Tube WITH clamps both ends and replace. But I see that might not be too easy or too affordable. So a question please if someone would be so kind:

IF I found a junked or used Air Intake tube (presumably exact fitment) would the clamp part be removable from That one and insertable on to Mine?

IF yes, would the clamps from most any Ford family Air intake hose from that era likely fit snugly on mine? (ie; are they sort of Universal fit?)

Lastly, if yes, if anyone has a spare clamp they wish to sell, please hit me up. Yes, a DIY or ghetto approach might be Plan B.

THANKS!

1621659420092.png

PS I have seen some call this ring-like clamp an end-bracket, but upon deeper research I think the bracket is a completely different component, and sometimes called a Mounting Bracket.

PPS I guess for $8.95 this is worth a shot:
1621660791938.png

UPD: Oh at least the fitting Cold Air Intake is 3.5" so 4" isn't gonna be good...

Hmmn, Or are they adjustable? Or is this trouble:
1621661316655.png

Surely the tube doesn't fit, but OH (will) the clamps?
1621661587090.png

You don't need a turbo style hose clamp. Back in the day I'd walk into an auto parts store with the part in hand, the guy behind the counter would find the correct size clamp and I'd be on my way in a few minutes...

You don't need a turbo style hose clamp. Back in the day I'd walk into an auto parts store with the part in hand, the guy behind the counter would find the correct size clamp and I'd be on my way in a few minutes...
I have been discussing this also in a thread about my MAF and related issues. I (think I) have found a complete intake hose seems to be the right one for my 2000 MM V8 so getting close:
1621819400874.png

Suggestions have been made that buying just the clamp (or taking one off of a fitting used intake air hose) and trying to place it on mine (where I now have a ziptie:
1621819520526.png

...might not be so smooth or doable a solution. If the answer is YES it is OK then I see several 3.5" clamps like:
1621819604223.png

I'd rather pay closer to $20 than $60 of course, but with no one really saying getting some 3.5" clamp from "wherever" is a reliable way to proceed, I will probably just get a full hose assembly.

Comments/suggestions welcome and thanks.

A standard worm gear hose clamp, like you have posted pictures of will work fine. I had to use a hose clamp on the intake tube on my van. I had to cut a few raised tabs to get the clamp to seat properly.

A standard worm gear hose clamp, like you have posted pictures of will work fine. I had to use a hose clamp on the intake tube on my van. I had to cut a few raised tabs to get the clamp to seat properly.
Thank you. One forum "expert" early on advised: don't mess with the bumps. I guess he meant tabs. No one seems to sell the exact fitting clamp and also say it can be slipped on easily, no cutting or struggle, lol....

I may spend the $55 just to sleep better (if they write back the item HAS ORIGINAL CLAMPS.) Thanks again!

Thank you. One forum "expert" early on advised: don't mess with the bumps. I guess he meant tabs. No one seems to sell the exact fitting clamp and also say it can be slipped on easily, no cutting or struggle, lol....

I may spend the $55 just to sleep better (if they write back the item HAS ORIGINAL CLAMPS.) Thanks again!
I'm not trying to go against any other advice you were given, with my intake I had to trim on it to get the clamp to seat good. It worked for me.

Those tabs are on the intake so the clamp stays fixed in one location with the screw end pointed in the right direction. You can cut it off with no issues.

Those tabs are on the intake so the clamp stays fixed in one location with the screw end pointed in the right direction. You can cut it off with no issues.
It seems somewhat clear that the fitting "to mfc spec" Air intake tube for my 2000 MM 5.0L V8 AWD is XL2Z-9B659-AAA:
1621832541669.png
FITS:
1621832467911.png

Because FORD has discontinued this, it is available through 3rd parties (of course FORD Dealer Parts-Depts. will get it from somewhere for you) and most tend to use the above diagram (Part 6?) illustration...$60 and up. Some sellers show actual photos, and in some of these photos the CLAMPs are missing (Wondering if they were used for someone like me who just needed a clamp, and now the possessor is just selling what remains: the hose only.)

A "fitting" tube on Amazon has some scary reviews: "didn't match the photo", "did not fit my vehicle", etc... from China:
1621835233736.png

1621835324664.png

1621835379510.png

(As suggested by a helpful Forum poster,) I think I am going to try this $8.99 CLAMP:
1621834818613.png

The clamp looks adjustable, and the holes seem like they might match (although this clamp is not a 2000 MM V8 "exact fit".)

All the good info suggesting TRYING a clamp and "making it fit" is very Helpful, and thanks! Wish me Luck.

Edit-update: THIS plan looking better, as 3 dealers or parts sellers i messaged asking if the hose they sell has clamps all said NO. lol.

Maybe this. You can order a sample for $20. Too good to be true?

Maybe this. You can order a sample for $20. Too good to be true?

Its so long ago (at my age) I dont recall exactly. I bought a clamp somewhere and it fit and things have been OK since. And thanks!

Well, as follows below, on 6-19-23, I put in a "new product idea" request on Dorman Product's website. I did get their standard reply back but it may eventually just fall into the "we are considering it" pit. I dunno, maybe they will make one, but would probably be a while regardless. If I hear anything back either way, then I will post it.

Hello Dorman,
I have looked and looked for an Air Intake Tube for 1992 to 1994 Ford Rangers and Explorers with 4.0L engine (Ford Part # F47Z-9B659-A) . It appears the '92-'94 Mazda B4000 pickups (and Navajo) may use the same (or close to the same) part as well - it is Mazda part # ZZM8-13-206 or ZZM813206. The air intake tube for the Ford (and Mazda) 3.0L engine is available all over, but not the one for the 4.0L engine.

Instead of using the rubber adapter piece at the intake to engine (which rots and fails), maybe you could just make it all one piece and let the intake tube fit directly on the engine air intake (like other intake tubes do on newer vehicles). The other end of this intake tube (that connects to the filter box) develops cracks in the corrugations (but this end uses no rubber adapter).

No one has this air intake tube for the 4.0L anymore. "Parts Geek" has been "out of stock" with their version of it since (about) 2021 - they call it a "Genuine Air Mass Meter Boot" and their part # for it is W0133-1762185.

From what I can tell from all my looking online for ideas in the forums, there are quite a few of these 4.0L trucks and SUVs still on the road but no one can find these air intake tubes, and the ones at the junk yards are usually not too great.

Thanks, Bob W.

Mazdastuff dot com shows it in stock for 92 4.0 navajo
Thanks for that - I just ordered the ZZM8-13-206 air intake tube from Mazda Parts Direct out of Ogden UT. Mazdastuff had it too at about $4 less, but their shippping was $40. It was $163.60 plus $9 shipping from Mazda Parts Direct. I just looked it up for a 1994 B4000 pickup with the 4.0L and the diagram with the same part number for the intake tube came up.

We will see if it fits - I looked at some pics of the Mazda B4000 engine and the intake looks the same as my 1994 4.0L Ranger. It is worth the risk to me - the $164 for it pales in comparison to the money I have spent lately on parts and repairs on our other vehicles. I might be able to return it if it came down to that, but since I could not enter a VIN (since I am Ford, not Mazda), they might say "no" on returning it.

I had looked for this part on a few Mazda sites before (about 2 months ago) and they said "out of stock" or "discontinued" but the two sites I mention above seem to have it now.

Thanks again.

Well, Mazda Parts Direct said the ZZM8-13-206 air intake tube is "no longer available" so they have canceled my order and are refunding my money. It really didn't cross my mind this was too good to be true, but turns out it was.

Mazda Parts Direct is an actual Mazda dealer (Young Mazda) in Ogden, UT so, unless some dealer happens to still have one, I am going to take their word for it that the part is not available.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was a good try.

I had previously bought and may eventually probably try to modify one of those (roughly $85) poorly reviewed air intake kits that are all over Amazon and ebay.

In the meantime, I have fixed the cracks in the corrugation at the inlet end of the tube with the Gorilla equivalent of Flex-Seal tape. I think a better method woud be to coat the cracks with the sealer mentioned in the next paragraph.....or maybe use some black "Goop Shoo-Goo" on it.

On the engine intake end of the plastic tube, since my rubber adaper was rotted, I disgarded the adapter and then I cut off part of the intake tube and used a 4x3" rubber no-hub sanitary adapter with big hose clamps. It is very tough to get the 3" on the intake, but if you use some dish soap it will go on there........As far as attaching the 4" end of the rubber 4x3 to the plastic intake tube, the tube will slip into it but you cannot tighten the clamp very tight - there will be some gaps because you are putting the corrugated inside the 4" round..........then I went around it with some black "Loctite PL Roof & Flashing Poyurethane Sealant" (bascially fancy caulk). I let this set up overnight and drove it the next day, but probably don't mess with it too much for about 5 days or so because this sealer has a long cure time.

I will post a pic of this cob job when I get a chance.

Thanks.

It was $157 plus tax and shipping for a total of $180. That was from mazda-parts.com, which is based out of a Mazda dealer in LA. Ironically, the local dealerships were quoting $220 if I ordered it at the counter
What was the part number? I see it as discontinued on mazda-parts.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Explorer club people! I wanted to say that here in California I see rangers and The first gen Explorers at the junkyard sometimes so if someone is desperate for a part I might be able to get if for you. My email is gunownertoda at g mail I got a ecm one time for a guy on the forum and he paid me some and tge shipping. Happy new years guys an girls. I do like our trucks.

Back