Where to install Second / Auxiliary Battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to install Second / Auxiliary Battery

stuarto

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 2013
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I was a long time Escape owner until recently (due to a dump truck rear ending it) and now and the proud owner of a 2013 Explorer.

For years and years now, I have installed second / auxiliary batteries in my main vehicle mainly for camping use. This way, I have power that is completely independent of my starter battery to run 12v accessories and a 3500W inverter when needed.

I wire it so that it's only connected to the main car battery once the engine is running and so, if it's close to flat, it doesn't put any strain on the main battery when starting.

So, I'm looking to do this on my explorer which of course is a lot bigger than the Escape but ironically seems to have no space to place the second battery.

I haven't seend any threads on this or on the interwebs of people doing this neatly or not on a vehicle that's setup fo "expeditions" and so wondered if anyone else has tried this.

I'll take any ideas right now and will happily post photo's of the finished installation once done.

Thanks

S

PS: He's the after install photo of a second battery nicely fitting under the hood of a 3.0L V6 Escape

IMG_20130119_00172.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I was a long time Escape owner until recently (due to a dump truck rear ending it) and now and the proud owner of a 2013 Explorer.

For years and years now, I have installed second / auxiliary batteries in my main vehicle mainly for camping use. This way, I have power that is completely independent of my starter battery to run 12v accessories and a 3500W inverter when needed.

I wire it so that it's only connected to the main car battery once the engine is running and so, if it's close to flat, it doesn't put any strain on the main battery when starting.

So, I'm looking to do this on my explorer which of course is a lot bigger than the Escape but ironically seems to have no space to place the second battery.

I haven't seend any threads on this or on the interwebs of people doing this neatly or not on a vehicle that's setup fo "expeditions" and so wondered if anyone else has tried this.

I'll take any ideas right now and will happily post photo's of the finished installation once done.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Check out page 2 of this thread. It seems like quite a bit of work is involved with that setup. Good luck.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346316&highlight=batteries

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Check out page 2 of this thread. It seems like quite a bit of work is involved with that setup. Good luck.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346316&highlight=batteries

Peter

Thanks!

You're right, this looks a bit too complex from a fabrication point of view for me.

Start with the MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake Kit. That should free up the needed room.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291638217746?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
This looks like the best idea I have seen so far and am now seeing where I can get an intake kit easily in Canada. It would be great if I could go pick one up and get it fitted over the xmas vacation period.

If I can't make this work, I may go the route of 2x 6V batteries in series simply because, from a space point of view, many more options open up. However, the cost of this option sucks.

Thanks!

S

Hi All,

Thanks

S

PS: He's the after install photo of a second battery nicely fitting under the hood of a 3.0L V6 Escape

IMG_20130119_00172.jpg
I just finished an auxiliary battery install on my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac. I took out the airbox and installed an OEM battery tray and a performance cone filter. It's a tight fit but it works perfectly.

I just finished an auxiliary battery install on my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac. I took out the airbox and installed an OEM battery tray and a performance cone filter. It's a tight fit but it works perfectly.
cool, thanks fr the input! however this is the 5g section in which many items changed since your trac. that said, it is a good idea!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure that would work on the 5th gen Explorer. Space in the engine compartment is so limited, that the water pump is in the engine and the engine is mounted transversely.

Peter

Thanks!

You're right, this looks a bit too complex from a fabrication point of view for me.

This looks like the best idea I have seen so far and am now seeing where I can get an intake kit easily in Canada. It would be great if I could go pick one up and get it fitted over the xmas vacation period.

If I can't make this work, I may go the route of 2x 6V batteries in series simply because, from a space point of view, many more options open up. However, the cost of this option sucks.

Thanks!

S
Did you ever get this sorted out?

Peter

Back