Where to put 3 relays in cab of a 2nd Gen??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to put 3 relays in cab of a 2nd Gen???

Like the title says, Where can I mount 3 Relays safely in the cab, to keep them away from moisture, and other elements? I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer. The Relays will be used for my off road lights, 1 pair of Hella's, mounted on the bumper, and 2 pairs of cheap Harbor Freight lights that will be mounted on the roof. I am trying to save money, both on wires for the roof lights, and relays, so I don't have to buy the more expensive weather resistant ones.

Thanks for any help, planning on doing this on Saturday.. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That ^
Or in the kick panel. There isn't any moisture around the dashboard, that's for sure.

Very good, I'll take a look. I'll post pictures where I put them, hopefully I can get this all done in one day. I have A LOT to do, I have to move one relay entirely, then wire 2 new ones as well, along with being super clean like I am, it may need more time, lol.

Could you get a relay box from a junk yard with a lot of pigtail wires? That way you could put it under the hood--Just a thought. I see them in explorers all the time. Go for the one under the air box, relays and all.

Or, under the console cubbyholes there is a lot of spare room-

^^^ I randomly grab relay boxes out of vehicles when I'm at salvage yards just so I have them when I'm adding equipment to people's cars, trucks or implements.

The only thing I am worried about is running all the wires for the relays next to my antenna wire for my CB, since it is located in the center console, I need to be careful, but I'll make it work.

Here is what I did guys, I put them all in the center console, where the tissue box holder used to be. Along with my fuse center, it all fits perfectly, so I am very happy the way it turned out, Ill have to epoxy some plastic to cover up the now useless hole, but it's all good.

o77j2e.jpg

Back