• Register Today It's free!

Which calipers to buy?

Chris Rambo

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I was planning on a brake upgrade, so I ordered powerslot rotors and hawk pads. While waiting for parts to arrive my master cylinder(I think) went out, so now I will replace that as well.I started thinking maybe I should go ahead and replace my calipers too. My question is on brands. I ussually buy factory parts, but I ran across a few brands I am considering. If anyone has any experience with calipers other than stock let me know what you think about which calipers are the BEST.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best within reason, or the best best? If you want the best there is go with Wilwood or Brembo.

The best within reason, or the best best? If you want the best there is go with Wilwood or Brembo.

Okay maybe not the best best, those wilwoods must be able to stop a train. I have not been able to find any brembos for sale. NHT are a brand I keep seeing

I would just go to your local parts store and get some that aren't remans. Unless your are getting larger rotors or racing (actual racing, on a track) or something the normal ones will be more than sufficient.

Buy the ones that have the frame around them. The travel is a big engineering deal that causes problems in the worst kind of way. If you buy ones, frame on then worries over! Dude.

If you are rebuilding calipers yourself then I would make sure that none of your sand blast media gets to the internal workings!

Back