AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
Hello all, I have been looking for the answer to my question everywhere but can't find an answer. I have a 1996 Explorer automatic transmission, 4.0L V6 Motor. There is a switch on the dash for $ wheel drive, the position are 2wheel 4 auto and 4 low. I want to get a rebuild kit for my noisy front axle, and I don't know which one to get. what axle was used in the 96 modle like mine ? I hear Dana 35 SL something, and a Dana reverse drive something, I am confused. can anyone kindly shed some light on which axle I have or how I can find out. OH..there isi no tag on the axle anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your time

The FORD workshop manual shows it being a "DANA 35" for the front diff.

it is a dana 35 differential, reverse rotation dana 35 is what it is officially called.
ALL EXPLORERS 95-2001 use the dana 35 reverse rotation IFS diff, it is unique to the ford, but it does share internal parts (ring and pinion) with some Jeep applications, as long as it is reverse rotation.
How do you know it is your front diff? Have you ruled out the driveshaft and wheel bearings as the issue? Any play in the pinion yoke?

Back