Which front axle does my 91 explorer have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which front axle does my 91 explorer have?

Karl

Reaction score
I have a 91 explorer with bad ball joints. I looked on Car.parts.com . There are 2 different ball joints depending on the type of DYNA axle my 91 4x4 explorer has. I went a local car parts store and they asked me the same thing. I have a chilton manual, but I couldn't find anything on the axle type.
Anyone out there know how they figured out which ball joints to get on their 91-94 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best way to find out is to look at the axle code tag which should be attached by a bolt on the front of the axle housing.

Rick,
Thanks for the update. Thats easy enough! Will I need to x-reference that tag or will it say DYNA 28 or DYNA 35 on it?
-karl

Karl,

I'm 99% percent sure you have a Dana 35.

Another way to tell the difference is to count the number of bolts holding the third member to the axle pivot beam. I believe the Dana 35 has 10, and the Dana 28 has more than 10.

To be 100% certain, though, as Rick said, get the number off of the axle code tag.

------------------
Scott
sjbosso@mindspring.com

Karl,

100%- Dana 35. Door sticker will get you the axle code or as posted earlier the diff tag will have the ratio.

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

Back