which is harder on a frontend? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which is harder on a frontend?

these tires are super swamper ssr's. i kinda think i know the answer but i'm hoping i'm wrong. first is a 35"x12.50"r15 that is actually 35.3" tall with 10.6" of tread. next is a 33"x14.50"r15 that is actually 33.5" tall with 12.4" of tread. so ones almost 2" taller and the other is almost 2" wider. i assume the 33 will weigh a lil more because of the extra tread... or maybe the lugs are jus spaced out that much more. i dunno'. this would be on a hp dana 30 front end. which would i most likely have more problems with, as far as wearing out parts and such? my guess is the wider tire will grab more and put more stress on the front end components. what i'm hoping for is that since the 2 would be very similair in weight that they would kinda be the same in comparison. would i be correct to assume this. what i'd like is the 33x14.50, its only a 1/2" shorter than my 35's but would slightly help with my gearing. and i'd have an even wider stance. ofcourse this is down the road as i jus bought my xterrains but its what i'd like to go wtih next. or as soon as i could get $$$. but not if it'll be too much for the front end. i wouldn't be jumping it or abusing the hell out of it. but i would use it offroad. rocks, mud, trails, whatever.

I beleve that the taller tire is going to put more stress on the front end. I say that because of phyisics. The moment of inertia on a larger diameter tire is greater. That means that the addition tire diameter will create more stress on the front end (drive train) and brakes. The wider tire will cause more stress on the steering components, ball joints and bearings.

i think they are both equally jsut as bad... as stated, you have to deal with certain issues in both situations... also... i dont know igf the jeep front can hadle those tires unless its jsut a street queen... it may not be strong enough to handle the added stress

Back