tire codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire codes

I know this has to have been covered before but I searched and couldn't find anything. Heres the question: Most tires have a code for its size. (p255-90210 R15 ect.) But then you have 33's that are 33x12.50R15 (The size I'm looking at buying.) and so on. My question is, is there a tire code for a 33x12.50 R15? On a related note. Will 33x12.50's fit on a stock rim or would the rim be too narrow. A few years back a tech at Sears said we couldn't go wider than stock on my wifes jeep as it would cause blowouts. EVERYONE I've talked to since then says that's not true.
Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

33x12.5 will be alright on a 15x7, but a 15x8 would be ideal. I don't know of the conversion into metric, so no help there

ive found this site is helpful to "convert" tire sizes

Dead Link Removed

hope it helps you

the closest I got to a 33x12.5x15 in metric size is a 315/70/15, but I've never seen a size like that before.

I think a 33" is 305/75. If you're going with 15 " wheels you don't need to worry about the conversion, you just get 33/12.50/15.

Like rino said the 33/12.50 will be ok on the stock wheel but better on a 15x8.

Cool, thanks everyone. I think I'm going with hi-tech retreading's mud tire with spacer. (jagged tread line down center of tire.) I wanted to make sure before I ordered them that I wasn't overlooking any other tires available on the site that were 33's but in code. Thanks again.

Back