• Register Today It's free!

Which locker??

JPA1982

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX for now
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
ok, so this summer i'm regearing from 3.73 stock to prob 4.10, while i have it open i want to go ahead and lock front/rear , i'd like to get the same company because of ease on me, for shipping from same location, installation similiar, etc.

just a lil fyi- 4wheelparts having a sale on package gears, front/rear/and install kits for both right now, only 410 total.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=2287&occlass=GENU&cat=DRI

my choices, please give me good experience/bad dont want to go wrong here.thanks a lot guys, also if anyone happens to be selling one of these let me know

Detroit EZ-Locker-4wheelparts
#G/G2020 Dana 35 IFS $241
#G/G3024 Ford 8.8 $283

Powertraxx-Rocky-road.com
Lock-rights
#RG-2311S2 Dana IFS $236
#RG-1822 Ford 8.8 $240
No-Slip
#RG92-0435-2702 Dana 35 $365
#RG92-0688-3108 Ford 8.8 $375

i hear people telling me to go detroit EZ in the rear, but haven't really heard much about it for the front? so the EZ out back is a good choice? i've heard go and bad things about powertraxx front, i know Gjarrett loves his no-slip but heard others had probs, and johnstone has lockrights front/rear i think, which seem to be doing awesome for him.

thanks as always guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've run the lock-wrongs in my Jeep before and I've broken both front and rear ones so I stayed away from those in my Explorer. Granted the Jeep has 300hp and 35's....I just wasn't comfortable putting something I've broke before into the explorer. I just installed 4.56's and a Detroit EZ-Locker in my explorer and they seem to work fine so far. I only went for the rear though....I found the 8.8 EZ locker at www.nationaldrivetrain.com for $240 if that helps you at all.

My mechanic (all he does is rear and front ends, nothing else) says he pulls more Detroit EZ lockers out than he puts in. I went with the full time detroit and love it.

I probably would have done what Vibes did if I'd had the money :(

thanks guys, ya money is somewhat of any issue, i'm regearing for about 450 front and rear, so thats not to bad, but i don't want to do the gears and lockers at seperate times, how long have u had that EZ in the rear MIKE?? and yes that price does help, thanks

anyone else, i know tons out there have lockers?

I know I can't help much. I've only ran ARBs on everything I've touched. :burnout:

I was a little disaponted when I regeared from 3.73 to 4.10, the difference still wasn't enough to pull 33 inch tires, you would be better off with 4.56. If you are staying with the 31's then the 3.73's should be good.
As far as lockers go, try the new Aussie locker or an EZ locker.

JPA, try a search I know there is a lot of threads but there is a good one discussing what everyone has and pros and cons.

Jared,
I'm doing something similar, going from 3.55 to 4.10. But, I've decided to buy used diffs and refurbish them (seals, bearings, etc. - as needed). I found it to be more cost effective than paying to have the ring & pinion installed, backlash set, etc. by someone else (shop or dealer). Before I put them in my truck, I'll be installing NoSpin units in each diff. I know they're a little more than the LockRite and EZ-Locker but based on the info in this Forum site, I think it's the way to go. That said, I doubt you'd have any problems using the LockRite. According to the PowerTrax web site, LockRite and EZ-Locker are essentially the same, just different brand names for different markets. Also, I plan to run 31" tires.
Regards, Dave.

awesome,thanks,

Gary-so your running 4.10's with your 33's, and not impressed with your power or what? i eventually plan to get 33's but no until i do my 4" superlift like next summer, would i be ok running 4.56's on 31's for about a yr? or am i going to spin them to much? i thought about the 4.56's but was told they would be no good for 31's, could i survive for that time period with them?

Derrick if i could run ARB's trust me i would be all over it, maybe down the road along ways, when it is seriously only a trail rig, but still in college, limited funds.

vibes-i did read alot of the old threads, just looking for advice from the guys that have had them on there a little longer and everything, or people that have gotten them since those threads, sorry about starting another one i guess

JPA1982 said:
vibes-i did read alot of the old threads, just looking for advice from the guys that have had them on there a little longer and everything, or people that have gotten them since those threads, sorry about starting another one i guess

No problem at all. Just making sure you had checked all the resources.

On the 4.10's with 33's I wish I would have gone 4.56's also.

I've only been running my EZ locker for a week.... One of the pros is that it could be a Do It Yourself job if you wanted to save money. ld50 did a great write up on how to install one http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98865

Sounds like he might know more about the EZ locker than I would....maybe a PM to him might be helpful to ya.

i will def. do that, and yes i'm planning on it being a "garage job" over the weekend for gears and lockers, my dad use to be a mechanic back in the day, plus i was thinking bout buying beer and food for any of the TEXAS CREW that wanted to lend a hand, lol, could hit up Devils Den like 5 mins from my house afterwards.

IMO gears are best left for a shop to do...

Good luck with the project and we'll be expecting some pics to go along with it!

be sure to take tons of pics when its being done and finished,

Mike-good call on Nationaldrivetrain.com,(gears=125,ez locker=230) better prices then 4wheelparts on everything that they had, only prob is they dont carry anything for our dana 35, so might still have to go elsewhere on that, will be looking around though

Back