• Register Today It's free!

Which replacement water pump?

Gride

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
So I’m waiting on picking up a 2016 Explorer Platinum with 127k miles. I plan on changing all fluids and any other maintenance items. I’ve pretty much decided to either replace the water pump myself or maybe pay someone to do it. I’ve done a lot of reading on the forums about different versions of water pumps and the thread with photos of the different version does not display the correct photos.

So I’m wonder what is the best water pump to buy as a replacement? It looks like the OEM motorcraft pump only has one gasket/seal when I have heard some have two. One of the replacements from AC Delco has 2 seals but I rather stay with OEM, unless aftermarket is the only way to get the dual seal design. Anyone change a water pump and can confirm the latest part number and whether it had the improved design with 2 seals or not?

Final question is at 127k miles what other items should I plan on replacing if I intend on using the vehicle as long as possible? I know I’ve seen timing chain but should the secondary chains and sprockets be changed as well? I’m considering doing a valve cleaning as well since it is GDI and an Ecoboost. Any recommendations on other items would be great too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s strange that Ford has come out with revisions to the water pumps but the newest version only has one seal. Really makes me question whether aftermarket (such as AC Delco) might be a better option. After all it’s not like the OEM water pumps are known for their reliability in the first place. Just my thoughts…

It’s strange that Ford has come out with revisions to the water pumps but the newest version only has one seal. Really makes me question whether aftermarket (such as AC Delco) might be a better option. After all it’s not like the OEM water pumps are known for their reliability in the first place. Just my thoughts…
I don't think the internal 3.5L water pumps are necessarily more unreliable than others. Its just that when they fail it can be catastrophic for the engine.

I will only put a Motorcraft pump in the vehicles I work on. Over the last several years I’ve found the aftermarket to be flooded with a lot of very poor quality parts.

The internal bearings and seals you can’t see are more important than that outer seal you can see. China isn’t good at metallurgy, especially bearings.

Completed the job and ended up going with the Ford water pump (as well as the Ford timing chain and components). Both the old pump(appeared to be the original) and the new one only had the one gasket. Pump shaft seemed to be fine but the gasket looked like it had seen better days.

I’ll see if I can upload a picture later if what the old pump looked like.

Back