I am planning to replace the OEM spark plug
wires with high performance wires...

Any suggestion?

I have read about Accel 9000 extreme,
Accel +300, Jacobs, etc.

I am using the Bosch Platinum + 4 spark plugs

Thanks

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be honest, any high end wire is better then the stock wires Ford puts in their trucks. Just go out to a performance shop and buy the best ones you can afford. Don't go too nuts though. Some of the higher end wires are made to carry much more juice then your coil can possibly put out and would be a waste of your money. If you go with Accel, you can't go wrong.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

I have replaced my plugs and wires. I used SplitFire DualCore wires with the Bosch Plat+4's and I love the combination. I did have 1 problem since with starting my truck but it was only -10*F so that may have something to do with not wanting to start right away.
If you have a multimeter check the resistance with the old wires and then compare them to the new wires. I cant remember the exact numbers but it was astonishing!
Hope this helps,

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Hi Bob-I second Nicks pick. I've been using Splitfire Duel-core for sometime now. It worked well with the Autolite Platinums as they do with the Bosch P+4 that I'm using now. The wires are fairly inexpensive ($50approx) and fit well as well as easy to install. You should be able to find them at most parts stores. Hope this helps.

im runnin bosch plat.4's with jacob wires and i am extremely happy with the results. seems to have cut down on the ping, feel like i have a little more throttle response. but they are a little pricey! i think any upgrade is much better than motorcraft!

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

Hey guys, does Jacob's sell a entire ignitions system for a '99 sport SOHC? Do you know anyone that does. I have bosch plat 4's, and just regular wires. Any help would be great. Thanks. Oh and does jacob's have a site or a number? thanks again
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Does anyone know which wires are better, the Accel w/ the spiral core or the stainless steel core? They are the same price, but I just wondered if anyone had any opinions or experience. Thanks in advance

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

What diameter wires are you guys using? I know some of you are using the 8.8 wires but my local parts store doesnt carry them for my 1993 E/B. will the 8.0 be good enough or should i look around for the 8.8
thanks in advance!!

Randy

[This message has been edited by John Donoghue (edited 02-10-2000).]

runnin bosch plat +4's with jacobs wires. somewhat improved throttle response.
i believe that jacobs now has a system for all explorers..they just sent me mail telling me the system for my 93 was ready. don't know if i'm ready to plunk down that kinda cash.
eric

------------------

If you go with the jacobs ignition pack,then you cannot use plat. plugs,at least thats what they told me,when I ordered the pack for my '99 sport,also threw in a free set of those quality 8.5 wires,for $410. final cost
it's on the way. I will let you all know how i make out.

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,auto
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Well guys,
I just have to put my .02 in on this. But, before I do, let me answer Bob's question.
Just about any non-carbon core Plug wire will do better than the carbon-core stock wires, because they will last longer than the corbon-core wires. If you changed your carbon-core wires more often, you wouldn't see any degradation of the voltage coming out of your plug wires. Plug wires do not increase voltage/ ampreage. They just act as the conductor from the coil pack, to the spark plugs. The better the conductor, the less energy is lost through it.

Now on ignitation systems.
First of all, the ignitation system that is in our Explorers is already a hot system.
Unless you guys have added all the rest of the stuff, like Headers, Cat-back, Hi-flow cat,(KKM,K&N) Filter,High performance wires,larger throttle body and Mas, and last, but not least, chip, you shouldn't waste your money. It's not going to get more mixture into the cylinders. It's not going to get the exhust out of the cylingers faster, and it won't give you that much bigger spark than what your stock ingition will give you. The $400.00 you spent on it, won't give you the power that a set of headers will give you, for the same price. I'm not saying it won't help, I'm sure it will help, but for that kind of money, you should spend it on something that you know will give you the power you want. I'm telling you folks. The most bang for your buck is a set of headers. You should take care of the basics, like the exhust system, and the intake system first, then you can add all those trendy things later.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Here's a link I found to be interesting regarding the ignition system taken from the spark plug perspective:

Ray
I agree with what you said, from what I have read, if you get more current to the spark plug, the spark plug gap can be opened a bit (piston clearance needed) giving a longer spark and increasing the rate of combusion. I would believe that this long spark may change the timing needs a bit, but the computer should compensate. Anyway I thought the above article was interesting.

A little off the subject, does anyone know if my 98 SOHC has a waste spark type DIS ignition system like my 94 Chevy Cavalier?

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Well:
I should have researched the jacobs DIS ignition pack. With all the responces I got back,mostly bad(for a stock motor),in that it just was not needed,and the cost($410.),All I did was call them up for a set of better wires,and they went on and on and on,about this new product.I nid not even get this thing yet(still on the way),I would give it a try if I was able to use the same plug's I am using now,or the Bocsh +4's,but I can't, even the gap is larger, just not worth the trouble.SO... I am going to ship it back,minus the wire set,$60.
and get the bocsh +4's.
thank's
Bill Schumacher

Back