Which tires?

graciebrother

Reaction score
City, State
VAN, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 1998
Hi,

So winter season is coming up and I want to get some new tires for my 98 Explorer Sport. I don't want to go full winter, rather a good all season. I heard that there's an all season tire out there that has the snow flake rating. anyone know what that is?

Any advice on tires based on experiences?

Thanks

Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires ? everybody has a favorite . I'll give you mine , Cooper ATR . I had them a 4x2 pickup and now a set on the AWD Explorer . They have a little more aggressive tread pattern than all weather tires but less than BFG all-terrain tires . They wear good , no excessive road noise . I figure , if its snows I didnt want to second guess if I got the wrong tires .

thanks for the responses.

The silent armour tires appear to have some good review from what I have seen. They look to be a little more on the top end when it comes to price too.

Anyone know of any good canadian retailers that stock them at a good price.

I've looked at Kal Tire and Canadian Tire, others i've searched don't seem to stock Goodyear though :(

Currently I have 255/70/r16, any thoughts on what I could change to or should I just stick with this size?

Just from my experience i would recommend staying away from kuhmos. I have a A/T set of kuhmos on my X right now and they ride harsh and are somewhat loud. I previously had a set of coopers on there and they were like riding on a cloud. Coopers get a thumbs up from me.

Michellin LTX M/S. I have them on my '96 and '04 model 4X4's. Excellent tire.

a lot of people like the michelin ltx, however if you're looking for a great tire at a decent price check out the dunlop radial rover. Also, checkout www.tirerack.com for good tire reviews.

You'll find a lot of bad reviews on the Silent Armors compared to other similarly priced tires. Can't beat the Michelin LTX M/S's for life. I had 60 miles shy of 100,000 on them when I swapped them out. Went with Michelin LTX AT2's on it... LOVE them so far... Some of the quietest tires I've used, and grip like glue. I put them on my F-150 a few weeks ago as well, and couldn't be happier! If you compare their ratings on Tire Rack, Michelins get WAY better rankings than any of the Goodyears.

I wouldn't run Goodyears if they were given to me. I've only owned to vehicles that had Goodyears on them when I bought them and they sucked.

Way over priced crap. I guess since they are the only NA$CAR approved tire they think they can rape the public for their junk.

Firestone Destination A/T not LE A/T. they have alot of tread. wear very nice make almost no noise at all and are a very offroad/ snow tire. not very much money either

Firestone Destination A/T not LE A/T. they have alot of tread. wear very nice make almost no noise at all and are a very offroad/ snow tire. not very much money either

Just threw a set of these on the '98 and I'll second that...for now. Hasn't snowed yet and I'm looking for some mud to test in but they are very quiet for such an aggressive tread and ride well. Got the buy three get one free deal so not a whole lot of $. And I'm not a firestone fanboy, I'm still hoping I don't regret the decision ;)

Fav tire for a 4x4 is still the BFG AT KO's

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to shop around for the best deal also as there is a bit of a price difference in many of the reco's above. The main thing is having the snow rating on there so I don't get told to turn around when heading up the slopes on a heavy snow day. I've got chain's but I'll be damned if I have to use them.

Dayam Dan, you have me afraid to even by Goodrich just because the name is close LOL.

I've done so much research on tires trying to pick a good priced, good grip, all season tire for my kid's Ex Sport that I'm just tired of looking.

I had it narrowed down to the Firestone Destination ATs or the Michelin LTX M/S and have decided on the Destinations, due to they are just bit cheaper.

Both tires rate about the same and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

By the way, my Son's EX Sport has 255 70 R16s, I'm going to put on 265 70 R16s which will increase the width by about a half an inch.

Blueraven

Don't neglect the Terra Grapplers (Nitto). Phenomenal.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It's certainly helped me cut through the clutter.

I'm currently running Michelin LTX M/S. They so far have been fine but are getting a little on the low side. I may look to put another set back on or perhaps the silentarmour. Need to see what kind of deal I can get.

It's about 26 degrees in vancouver today so I don't think I'll be needing them for the next month or so!

Back