Winter tires | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires

I've got my 10+ year old Blizzak's on since two weeks ago. I was glad I had them Thursday with a snow that lasted longer than predicted, some higher/steeper roads were covered and slick. Friday would have been worse, but we got full sun all day which melted it all from the roads. Plus my steepest Alpine Road(37876) got salted after I went through the day before.

I'll run these til they wear out, but already I can see the faster wear in two weeks on dry pavement. I expect to be lucky to make it through April with them. The rubber is still soft, but not like when they were new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, first time poster here............
My question is, do you guys know what size rims and tire combo I can actually get away with using on the ST with the street package? Maybe 19"? There has to be something more economical out there. I'm not paying $4,000 for snow tires, that's just crazy.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You have been moved to the correct thread regarding your question.

Peter

Hi all! Did you install an aftermarket TPMS as part of the winter package? if yes, what the make and model? Thanks!

Hi all! Did you install an aftermarket TPMS as part of the winter package? if yes, what the make and model? Thanks!

I had trouble with the aftermarket ones. Ultimately purchased the Ford OEM ones for my winter wheels.

Hi, first time poster here.

I just bought a 2020 Explorer ST. It's my first Explorer as I've had nothing but F-150's since 2005. Because I live in Canada I inquired about the winter tire package offered by the dealership. They have pricing on every model for about $1700 CAD but the ST is excluded. It's because of the Street Package option with the 21" wheels. So I had them look into what rims and tires I would need and Ford recommends 20" aluminum rims with Pirelli snow tires to the tune of $4000!! This is absurd! LOL!!

My question is, do you guys know what size rims and tire combo I can actually get away with using on the ST with the street package? Maybe 19"? There has to be something more economical out there. I'm not paying $4,000 for snow tires, that's just crazy.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.
I got into my 21 inch Kumho Wintercrafts for 1650 installed at the dealer in October in Edmonton at Kentwood Ford. So far they have performed well, not as good as the 20 inch Nokians I had on my last explorer but definitely serviceable. So that is a much cheaper option that you can consider, and then buy another set of 21 inch wheels for the summer.

I got into my 21 inch Kumho Wintercrafts for 1650 installed at the dealer in October in Edmonton at Kentwood Ford. So far they have performed well, not as good as the 20 inch Nokians I had on my last explorer but definitely serviceable. So that is a much cheaper option that you can consider, and then buy another set of 21 inch wheels for the summer.

Rapid Red, RD is that you?

Back