Which Wax | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Wax

I am waxing my car this weekend... It has NEVER been waxed to my knoowledge... I would like you guys to suggest me some products that I can get at a local store around the area that isn't too terribly expensive.

I have a few scratches here and there but not too many. Clear coat is not too great. My truck is white and pewter. Thanks in advance...

By the way, yes I used the search function and I still wanted to do this topic. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny, a long time ago I used to mix water & vinegar and use it in the windshield washer tank. It worked very well. I don't know why I stopped using it. :dunno:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If this get's out, Rain-X is going to go bust. It would be good if you forgot to get vinegar on your fish and chip's at lunch, just hold them up to the windscreen and push a button!
I use to use scrunched up newspaper to get that no streak finish on glass. It just makes a big mess now.

The vinegar smell always reminded me of fish & chips!!

images

Damn, I've got the hungries now. I'll put that first on my list of thing's to do when I get my license back:

1) Get fish and chip's for lunch.
2) Drive my X.
3) Drive my X.
4) Drive my X.....:D

Waxing...

O.K. I came arcross these pictures. Last fall I had a friend tell me that he knew an older guy that used corn starch in and old white sock to remove fine scratches. Since the paint was 15+ years old on my Explorer I would try it. I lightly bounced the sock off the Ex. and with light pressure worked the corn starch in a circle. Wiped it off then waxed it with Merguiar's Premium Paste Wax. The pictures actually show three coates of wax on it. It left some real fine scratches in it, but not bad. It worked for me, but I'm not going to gurantee it will work. I did it mainly out of curiosity. Do it at your risk.

Here is a link to an aricle about it.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/restore_motorcycle_paint_tip/index.html

sideviewcopy.jpg

sidesasginaw50.jpg

saginaw56.jpg

Fantastic info Brian! Corn starch is not something I would have thought of in regards to car cleaning/detailing, brilliant mate:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's user friendly. No harsh chemicals. Go Green...

Wow! I just registered on their forum. Looks like several good hours of reading. That's all I need now is to become more obsessed on cleaning and shinning my vehicles.

You can be obsessed with cleaning and still lead a completely normal life... :shifty_ey

Just don't let the other half catch you detailing the washer and dryer... :p:

IMG_0612.jpg

I would of thought she'd be pleased :) But there is always the chance you'll then have to detail the fridge, oven, dishwasher, toilet, bath and shower before you get a chance to touch you're truck again.

Ha...HA...You know We bought a new washer and dryer last year. I waxed the crap out of them. My wife come upstairs and asked if I waxed the washer and dryer? When she was leaning agianst them. She kept sliding off. She wasn't amused.. "I love shinny" I think it goes back to my Boot Camp Days.

LOL I never would have thought to wax my washer and dryer!!!! My other half might get a kick out of this

You guys aren't right in the head. :confused:

I would of thought she'd be pleased :) But there is always the chance you'll then have to detail the fridge, oven, dishwasher, toilet, bath and shower before you get a chance to touch you're truck again.

Fridge- Been there
Oven- Done that
Dishwasher- Bought the t-shirt
Toilet- I can't get that intimate with a toilet
Bath/Shower- Don't do it- I fell on my ass in the shower the next day

:D

I'm going to stop with washer & dryer. Fridge is textured..NO SHINE..

Fridge- Been there
Oven- Done that
Dishwasher- Bought the t-shirt
Toilet- I can't get that intimate with a toilet
Bath/Shower- Don't do it- I fell on my ass in the shower the next day

:D

Joe, spend some time in the Marine Corps and you will "learn" to be intimate with a toilet!!! :salute:
Posted via Mobile Device

Then you have to throw your tooth brush away...LOL

I'm going to stop with washer & dryer. Fridge is textured..NO SHINE..

My fridge is textured too, Brian. I just care about my appliances... :D

Hey- if someone can wax a GM product with their insane orange peel from the factory, I can wax my textured fridge... :)

I try to make them GM products look better.

Joe: Did you recognize that truck?

Ha ha! :thumbsup:

I wasn't even thinking of yours! Oops! I was still thinking about this rig:

Silverado-13.jpg

Back