Which way the coolant flows in the heater core? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which way the coolant flows in the heater core?

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
My good luck of not getting stranded with my Ex in almost 20 years finally ran out - and in a not-so-convenient place to boot. A nipple sheared clean off the plastic heater valve, and it lost all coolant on a remote forest road. Overconfidence in the Ex made me travel with no tools and no water, but luckily there was cell reception there, so just a couple hours later the AAA-dispatched tow truck showed up. Using his pair of pliers we removed the offender, plugged the water hose directly into the heater core nipple, filled the radiator (with tap water, but what the heck...), and I was on my happy way back.
So here is where I need your help: the valve has an arrow, pointing (one would think) in the direction of the flow. I assumed that it should point towards the heater core, but my visual memory tells me it was the other way round. It's installed on the outboard hose, so if that direction is correct, this would be the return hose and the valve turns off the return flow. Strange... Can anyone do me a favor, pop the hood and take a look? Much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best pic I can get

20191011_051802_kindlephoto-125689129.jpg

Thanks a lot donalds! The site was down, so only seeing your response now.
The direction your photo is showing makes a lot of sense, because that's the inlet to the HC, and the arrow points to it if mounted that way. Found out that mine was installed backwards. I never touched it, and doubt that the PO did, because it was less than 2 years old when I bought the vehicle. Most likely that's how it came out of the factory -- I have seen stranger things than that in the land of "Quality is Job 1".
Probably either did not stop the flow completely when it should have, or made a restriction when it was supposed to be fully open. I live in a mild climate, so never noticed a problem -- until the thing broke, but that's almost certainly just age related.

No problem:dpchug:

Thanks a lot donalds! The site was down, so only seeing your response now.
The direction your photo is showing makes a lot of sense, because that's the inlet to the HC, and the arrow points to it if mounted that way. Found out that mine was installed backwards. I never touched it, and doubt that the PO did, because it was less than 2 years old when I bought the vehicle. Most likely that's how it came out of the factory -- I have seen stranger things than that in the land of "Quality is Job 1".
Probably either did not stop the flow completely when it should have, or made a restriction when it was supposed to be fully open. I live in a mild climate, so never noticed a problem -- until the thing broke, but that's almost certainly just age related.
When your heater valve was installed backwards did the heater work for you inside the cab

So I guess what I really am trying to find out is which way should the arrow be pointed when you reinstall a heater valve I didn't pay attention which way it was going when I took it out it's pointed towards the water pump right now when I reinstalled it the problem is is I have no heat inside my vehicle and I'm thinking maybe it's because of an air pocket possibly not completely full with water because of that

I'm pretty sure the flow is toward heater core.

Raise front of truck, turn heat to hot and floor, run engine. this will help purge the heater core air pocket

I'm pretty sure the flow is toward heater core.

Raise front of truck, turn heat to hot and floor, run engine. this will help purge the heater core air pocket
It's pointed towards the water pump currently will that create a problem

When your heater valve was installed backwards did the heater work for you inside the cab
I'm sorry somehow I got somebody else's message inside of our message that wasn't our message I possibly installed the heater valve backwards I'm not sure and as far as I know it was installed correctly when I took it out but I didn't pay attention to which way the arrow was going didn't notice the arrow kind of new at this stuff

I'm sorry somehow I got somebody else's message inside of our message that wasn't our message I possibly installed the heater valve backwards I'm not sure and as far as I know it was installed correctly when I took it out but I didn't pay attention to which way the arrow was going didn't notice the arrow kind of new at this stuff
So what I'm asking is which way does the arrow point towards the water pump or the heater core that is on the heater valve I don't have heat in my car currently or very little anyway and I'm thinking it might be an air pocket but not sure about which way I should have installed the heater valve with the arrow pointing towards the water pump or the heater core please I can really use someone's advice ASAP it's bordering night time and I need to get this put back together taken apart and put back together before nightfall thank you

It's been a while, so don't remember the details but believe that it did. It is not a check valve, so regardless of direction, it stops or allows the coolant flow as commanded. The difference, if any, is probably minor. If your heating does not work, check that the valve is commanded to open. If it is, look for the problem elsewhere. Perhaps blend door?

Back