which years are closest to compatible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which years are closest to compatible?

ryanexplorermods

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I recently bought a 91 explorer with a 6inch susp lift, and 35 inch tires.

The person that had this vehicle beofre me did very little in way of mods to support this lift/tires.

I am looking to part this vehicle, and start another explorer which is in better shape, and DO THIS RIGHT.

I am wondering, AM i safest to purchase only another 91, or am I correct in assuming that 91-94 will accomidate all the parts I am pulling of this 91 to remake a second explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91-94 are effectively identical. Some changes between them are a change to 4 wheel abs from rear wheel abs, and some minor motor and cosmetic differences. Almost all parts are interchangeable in those years.

Try to select one with ABS, which got to be standard for 93 didn't it? Good luck,

Try to select one with ABS, which got to be standard for 93 didn't it? Good luck,

I believe that's correct. I've had a '92 and a '94. The '92 had RABS, the '94 has full antilock brakes.

Back