Whistling Sound from Inside Cabin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whistling Sound from Inside Cabin?

RajnCajun7

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94
I searched for a possible solution to this problem but only came up with variations of the sound when idling or under the hood. My problem is that when going about 30/35 - 50 mph, I get this high-pitched whistling sound that appears to come from inside the explorer. I've tried to pinpoint the source and so have passengers but we can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. It's not the sound system and it goes away at speeds under 30 mph and over 50/55 mph.

My speedometer's been acting up lately too at highway speeds and buzzes back and forth every once in a while. I suspect I need either a new speedo. cable or need to lubricate the current one, but could this high-pitched sound be connected to the speedo. problem even though the speedometer only acts up at highway speeds?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably not the case on yours but worth a check, I had a 02 explorer that would make a whistling sound apparently coming from inside. It was outside, the adhesive securing the plastic surronding the drivers mirror had worn out and the piece was disbonded just enough to act as a whistle at highway speed.

Thanks for the input james...I suppose it could be something from outside but it seems to be so precise in occurring at a certain speed, and the only better way I could describe the sound is like a pulsating dog whistle, if that makes any sense. I've dealt with it for a while, but it's really starting to bother me; plus it's embarrassing when you have other people in the ex.

Has anyone else had similar problems because I'm afraid if I take it to my mechanic, he's not going to know what to do with it?

I'd lube that speedo cable; I have seen them cause a violin sound and shimmy from rubbing, but that was in an old 78 Buick I had. Never had one do that on Ford's I've been around.

It's also possible that it is a vacuum issue around your heat/air cond/defrost controls. You'll need to ask or hear from someone more knowledgeable than me about those though. I've taken the control assembly apart before to lube a stuck switch but that's it. They're mechanically controlled on our trucks, but their effect on vac I am unsure of. I do know that even with the blower off there is some air movement from the vents in my truck, so obviously the system has potential to make whistle noises.

Air leakage around the window seals is also a possibility. And if so, the only reason you don't hear it at 70 mph is because it's obscured by other wind/engine noise.

If it's outside, it could be under your hood, in which case I'd take a long look at the IAC (Idle Air Control valve, cylinder on top of manifold), the intake tube, and all the vac lines for holes, fraying.

I'm sure you know that it's very hard to diagnose on a net forum something like that, even if you are actually there and listening to it.

thanks for the ideas Rhett...this gives some places to start when I have my mechanic or one of my buddies from work look at it. Like you said, I guess it could be a number of things so we'll make a checklist and start going through each one.

Could be a weatherstripping around a door has a leak. My luggage racks make some noise at certain speeds as well.

Lt.Jim said:
Could be a weatherstripping around a door has a leak.

Didn't I say that already haha :D

Oooppss! I must have skipped that paragraph. :confused:

It's ok Lt sometimes I type too much...

hey everyone...here's the update on the work I had done. After taking it to the repair shop three times and $165 later, they concluded that the high pitched whistling and the jumping speedometer was from a faulty speedo. cable.

So on Saturday, they replaced the speedo. cable, and they said to watch it because if everything isn't right, they might have to replace the speedo. itself with one from the junkyard. Other than going back and forth to work (10 minutes away from my house), today was the first chance I took the Ex out, and I noticed that the whistling sound was back, and the speedo. needle is still jumping up about 5 mph (from 40 to 45 or 50 to 55) on occasion.

I don't know what I should do. My family's been goin to this garage for years, but lately, it seems like I've had to take it down there multiple times for a repair without getting any positive results. I looked in my Haynes manual, and could the speedo. problem be fixed by replacing the speedo. pinion gear or O-ring that connects to the transmission? Please give me some suggestions because these mechanics are screwin me over big time.. Thanks

2 questions I have:
1) do you have cruise control

2) Did they also replace the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) when they replaced the speedo cable?

I ask because a vac leak in the cruise control can affect the speedo, causing it to bounce around. Also a VSS that is malfunctioning can also cause the same problem.

hey rhett, I just went to the repair shop today after work to tell the mechanic that nothing they replaced actually fixed the problem. One of the mechanics said something about the VSS and its connection with the transfer case/transmission, but I know he didn't replace the VSS, only the speedo. cable.

I do have cruise control, but in the 3 years I've owned the Ex, I've never even used it so I couldn't even tell you if it works or not. But thanks for the input. He's going to take it for another test drive with me after work tomorrow so I'll let you know what he says.

All:
Have the same issue with my 09. The whistling is incessent at speeds above 60. Sound 'seemed' to originate near the center console.
But, thank god my son came up with the idea of it being the pass side mirror. He folded it in, and whistle is gone.
Now, I need to play with it over the weekend to see what needs to be done to eliminate it...might be a seal, might be just enough room for the whistle to originate through the electronics harness into the cabin and therefore it 'sounds like' it's inside.
Anyone else with a similar issue?
thanks

This is a leap, but could be your speaker system making that sound because a wire is shorted.

A more likely cause would probably be weather stripping or seal of some sort on a door jam.

thanks Fishnhunt.
Not necessarily a 'leap' on the speakers: one of the things we did was turn off all electronics (stereo & usb hubs), and turned off all HVAC controls to no avail.
Working on re-sealing the weather stripping around both the pass side window and mirror.
Let's hope it worked...can't stand the noise much longer: feel like my ears are ringing....

Check the vac dash pot under the glove box and pass side kick panel its line runs from there to the climate controls to the motor bay. Could have a split in it some wear or even a broken connector. other wise find by having some one crawl around as you drive the closest pin point are you can for it and start doing little things with say tape to try and stop it as even on weather stripping I have found air leaks that way and only needed to reglued them if they were not worn to bad.
just taking a shot in the dark here so maybe help you locat it with out thowing a ton of money at it tell you find it.

Back