• Register Today It's free!

whizzing/whirring noise

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Just had a strange thing happen on my 1997 EB Explorer. Was on the Interstate @ 65-70 mph, when I heard a whizzing/whirring noise from under the car. sounded like an electric drill. Tapping the brakes and the gas pedal stopped it temporarily, but it keeps happening. Any ideas?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When that happend to me my transfer case was failing.

Took it to the local transmission shop and they put in a used one but it was still like $800.

That was the exact same thing mine was doing and it only did it at highway speeds.

Hopefully it is something different for you, though it sounds like the same issue.

I have a 98 sport and had the exact same issue. I have now put in 2 rebuilt ones that both have gone out within 1 month and it is in the shop to get a 3rd replacement. It had a warranty thank God - any ideas on what could be going on that it keeps happening?

I just finished tearing down a used one that I had put in. I believe it's the pads on the shift fork that are worn and creating play, allowing the shift collar to jump out of alignment. Does it sound like a manual trans that has jumped out of gear? mine would stop as soon as I put it in neutral. It would make the noise when trying to back up, or if I took my foot off the gas and coasted downhill at highway speeds..... I have built one t case out of the three used ones I have on hand. Did this today. Tomorrow everything gets re-installed to see if it worked. The original tcase sounded like the chain was jumping so I replaced it because it looked worn. It woiund up being worn teeth on the backside of the shift collar where it engages the planetary gear assembly..........

Good luck....

Surprise!

Some of the transfer cases in use contain a forced-feed oil pump (good thing), and some do not. I believe the presence of the pump makes for a longer-lasting gearcase.

Just my thought! imp

Back