Who has changed their Pioneer 6 disc for aftermarket HU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has changed their Pioneer 6 disc for aftermarket HU?

Mr.Fork

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Looking for some advice. I have an 04 with the adrenalin package(pioneer 6 disc, amp, sub). I got the metra 70-5517 harness to connect to a Pioneer head unit, wired everything up on the main harness, attached the blue/white remote wire to the smaller harness blue/ white wire, amp ground to the amp ground wire on the bigger harness, and plugged the white RCA into the white Sub rca jack on the back of the head unit. The only wire that did not have a corresponding wire was an orange "illumination ground".

I have power to the radio but no sound from any speaker or the sub. I expected to get a pop sound on start from running 12v to the amp but don't even get that. Is there anything obvious I missed or do I need to start checking wires going to the amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check polarity on the speaker out put wires. On several of the Pioneer decks I have installed over the years if one of the speakers was opposite the others nothing happened.
I know this is a silly question but did you just match the wire colors or go through and confirm function of the wire on both sides (harness and receiver)

Either use a line output converter(i think the brand I bought and used was schosche) or you will have to run all new speaker wire from the new aftermarket head unit. Do yourself a favor and add a resistor to your remote turn on wire to lower the voltage from 12 to 6 so you don't get the dreaded hum and amp pop as well.

What is the purpose of a line output converter? I was under the impression that using the right harness adapter would be all that is needed. Any idea which converter you used, there seems to be several

I'm not familiar with the Adrenalin audio package, but if it is anything similar to the Mach 460 system that was in my old Mustang, you will be better off running new speaker wire to the doors and replacing the speakers while you're at it.

Back