Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SteveAZ

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Lincoln Corsair
I've driven my Platinum about 1,000 now and the transmission hasn't improved at all. When the vehicle is warming up, first several miles, the transmission stalls when shifting from first to second, or at least it feels that way. Third is a little better. From fourth up it's fine. It's almost like the engine quits between gears thou that's not possible. It's just one more thing to frustrate me and make me sorry I invested all that money in a car that doesn't deserve to be on the streets. For the record the guy that sold the car to me doesn't disagree or argue that the problem doesn't exist. If there's another thread with the same issue move me. I couldn't find one using the search.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No issues here, everything is great. The only time I am not happy is in Sport mode. It is very sensitive and jerky on the downshifts. But during normal modes and normal driving, it has been flawless.

I have adjusted to being very light with the throttle during warmup so the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are smooth. A more fitting name for this vehicle would be Bronco, because with the herky jerky shifts and the overly sensitive throttle in Sport mode (why?!?), it acts like a bucking bronco!

No issues here either. I agree that 2nd - 3rd can be a hard shift if you're into the throttle, but no complaints otherwise.

Sounds about right, except that even a light throttle response doesn't change it much. I think it stumbles regardless if I happen to add any amount of gas at about the same time as it's shifting during the first three gears. The problem pretty much goes away after a long warmup period. I have decided that driving it in econo helps but I don't like having to select it every time I start the car. That's another bug!

Can’t you take it to the dealer for an update or something? Have you reached out to Ford?

No issues here as well. I think more that we have to get used to a 10 spend transmission characteristics, it's more of a learning curve for us. That is just my opinion. I feel its more wired in Sport mode that all other modes.

I've driven about 5 2020 Explorers and never noticed any shifting issues. Poor shift quality isn't an inherent characteristic of Ford's 10 speed transmission. I'd visit the dealer.

No issues here either. The 10 speed takes a little getting used to I find as far as it's shift points.

Peter

I have about 2,000 miles on mine, no issues here either, if your foot is into it will will shift a little harder, that is to be expected.

TBill

Sure not putting my foot in it. Shifts from first to second is almost like turning off the key for an instant (if it had one). The severity of the shift does go away but not as quickly as the engine warms up. It's not until the car has been on the road for several miles before things settle down. The shift from second to third is not quite as harsh and it too settles down later. This ten speed shifts like a manual tranny when you're timing is off and you're late getting on the gas.

Sure not putting my foot in it. Shifts from first to second is almost like turning off the key for an instant (if it had one). The severity of the shift does go away but not as quickly as the engine warms up. It's not until the car has been on the road for several miles before things settle down. The shift from second to third is not quite as harsh and it too settles down later. This ten speed shifts like a manual tranny when you're timing is off and you're late getting on the gas.

My 2020 Platinum's transmission shifts smoothly. I'm amazed how well the engine and transmission are matched and perform in this vehicle.

Clearly, you're experiencing completely different transmission behavior. If our transmissions had dipsticks, my first recommendation would be to check the fluid level. But you can't do that because there is no dipstick.

It's possible that your transmission was underfilled or overfilled at the factory. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to visit your friendly Ford dealer.

I've driven my Platinum about 1,000 now and the transmission hasn't improved at all. When the vehicle is warming up, first several miles, the transmission stalls when shifting from first to second, or at least it feels that way. Third is a little better. From fourth up it's fine. It's almost like the engine quits between gears thou that's not possible. It's just one more thing to frustrate me and make me sorry I invested all that money in a car that doesn't deserve to be on the streets. For the record the guy that sold the car to me doesn't disagree or argue that the problem doesn't exist. If there's another thread with the same issue move me. I couldn't find one using the search.

What is wrong with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator?

Thank you Exit32. Your posting convinces me that there is a solution. I'll copy your comments and pass them along to the dealer.

Newport, is that an opinion or fact and on what basis.

Newport, is that an opinion or fact and on what basis.
The dealership i have been leasing for 20 years told me when i went to pickup my ST with build date 11/7 that ford had its act together and the assembly line is flowing smoothly and that most first build were fixed and some were sent off to tech schools for ASE mechanics.

part "B"
Mysterious problems disrupt delivery of 2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator

freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/

part "B"
Mysterious problems disrupt delivery of 2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator

freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/

Look at the date of this, 9/13/19, much time has passed, most problems have been resolved.
TBill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from part "b"
quote: Felker confirmed volunteers had been canvased to work 12-hour shifts, 7 days a week for a 90-day temporary assignment.

Back