• Register Today It's free!

Who wants 2-3 mpg better

kelvin37

Reaction score
City, State
mesa arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 edi-baur
my latest addition to my 91 ex is a completely heat free intake. what i did was remove the hose that comes from the passenger side exhaust that runs into my intake to warm the air when its cold. (which never works and heats the air anyways.) i then proceeded to put 2000 degree heat wrap from autozone all the way around my intake. the pipe to the air box, the air box, and the pipe form the airbox. my air intake temp 3" in front of the throtle body went from 200 down to 110. after that i also took a flex hose and ran it from the hose that runs into the air box out to the front of the grill, i now have ram air, and it works great on the highway, and you get whatever the air temp is outside into your motor. on the high way i get about 3 mpg better now, and the engine runs cooler out here in hell arizona. i love this mod so much i would like everyone else to know about it. click the links below for pics

Attachments

• intake1.jpg
    intake1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,278
  • intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,268

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like its a good system and is definately worth considering or doing, but the pictures don't work (at least for me) :(

i like what your doing. i'll have to look in to some something like this. and the pics didn't work for me either

Without pics... it didn't happen

+1. Pics don't work. I'm looking for some good fuel savers. See if you can get these running for us. Anybody able to help? Mods?

here they are

Attachments

• intake1.jpg
    intake1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,248
  • intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,249

Looks good. Excellent idea, don't know why anyone hasn't posted an idea like this before. :salute: I think I may do this see if I can get some better fuel economy on my 98 and/or my 05. My 98's fuel economy all of a sudden went from 19mpg to like 13 mpg.
Thanks for fixing the pics. :thumbsup:

ya the next thing i am doing is insulating my ac system. just whatever you do, DO NOT heat wrap your headers, it will cause the cylinders to retain and either the head will crack or your car will over head, so just insulate everything else.

Or Don't be like my buddy...shoved a hose up his exhaust pipe (on a 83 bmw 528e), ruined most of his exhaust. Main thing is is his mufflers f'd.
I've been working on cars enough that I know not to head wrap those headers.

let me know if your see a red ford deisel van lifted running around there in north ogden i sold it to my brother up there. that was my favorite 4x4

Will do. I'll keep an eye out for that van.

IAT determination?

. . . my air intake temp 3" in front of the throtle body went from 200 down to 110. . .

How did you determine the temperatures? Was it when the vehicle was moving or sitting still?

Using a scanner and data logging my IAT on my 2000 Sport I found that if I drive over 35 mph for 70 seconds the IAT drops to about 3 degrees above the outside air temperature. However, when stopped the IAT would increase to 100 degrees in 75 seconds when the outside air temperature was only 74 degrees.

ya see out here it is 115 in the summer. i have a temp probe that i put in side the intake 3" in front or the tb. i did this moving at 45mph. also when you guys remove the hose from the exhaust heater to the air box you will need to cap that hole off or it will still pull hot air. i used a spray paint can top and some tape it works great

Pretty good idea, but I don't know if the insulation is really doing that much at highway speeds. The plastic intake tube doesn't affect the air temp as much as say, a metal one would. The intake manifold itself would also heat up the air quite fast once it gets there anyway, and is in a prime spot (right on top of the engine) to get as hot as possible.

I'm not knocking it, though, since it's been proven before that the small things do add up, and if it seems to give you some improvement, great.

You're also right about not wrapping headers or exhaust parts, BUT some spray-on ceramic coating is just the thing.

factory ram air?

I am curious. I was adding a k/n drop in to my truck a few weeks ago and when i was going to take the air box out I noticed some piping from airbox to grill and its the same piping the intake is made of sort of squarish. Does anyone else have this ram air type setup, I bought my 93 xlt last month and have been trying to improve its mpg and power within reason. I also swapped the exp grill for a ranger and that seems to expose more air as the tube is mounted right behind grill. I like the intake tube wrap and would be interested in results

yes i made a tube that runs into that, that goes to the front of the grill which now makes it true ram air. but it only helps above 60mph i figure that my system works better than just a chrome tube and knn. i had one on and all it did was just make it louder. just make sure you close off the heat tube to the exhaust. and by the way if the air that is going through the mass air sensor is colder it gives your car more fuel. and yes the intake manifold heats up the air but at least it is a cool as it can possibly be

where is this "heat tube"? im not seeing it on my truck.

thermostatically controlled air intake

The very early models of the Explorer had a thermostatically controlled air intake. The air filter enclosure pulled air either from the front of the vehicle or from a collector located above the right exhaust manifold. There was a vacuum motor that selected between the two sources. It was controlled by a vacuum actuated thermostat located in the air filter enclosure. It was very useful in extreme winter locations. There's a video on how to test it posted somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it with the search function.

if anyone else does this please let me know how it works i would like to see others results

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been working on cars enough that I know not to head wrap those headers.

Were are you all getting your info?i run headers that are wrapped and have no problems at all.it cut my engine compartment temp down ALOT!!or are you all talking about wrapping the heads or just stock exhaust manifolds,witch are not headers?:scratch::dunno:
picture.php

picture.php

Back