• Register Today It's free!

why 4404 to 4406 w/video

5.0 merc

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 merc awd
Update: It is Friday and I was planning going early in the morning to get a 4406 to swap with my 4404. So I was taking the 4404 of for the 3rd time tonight (getting pretty good at it), and when I was sliding it of the transmission out put shaft I noticed the tc input shaft pulled out of tc a little. So I got out from underneath the truck and was playing with it, and i think I finally figured out why My vehichle wouldn't go in drive revers or park. I'm so happy now! This really baffeled me cause both times I put the tc back on I could drive for about 5 minutes then it wouldn't go anywhere again.it would just sit there and grind in all gears. And my original TC that came with the vehicle did the same thing but I didn't know why. I guess it's my kind of luck. I included a video of my findings and I think when I go in search of a tc tomorrow I'm going try this out and atleast make sure this new tc doesn't have the same problem.

http://photobucket.com/transfercase

I've been researching putting a 4406 in my 97 mountaineer. I thought my orgignal 4404 tc was shot. I got another one at pull apart. Still had the same problems as before. Thought it might be the transmission. Picked one of those up and swapped it out. Still the exact same problem. I think some how in both of the tc cases that I owned the torque is not getting from the transmission out put shaft to the rear and frong drive shafts. It seems after all the research I cant find anyone with this same problem. Here I sit with new/used transfer case and a new/used transmission and still no P R N D 2 1 at all. Since I think Ive been dealt two bad 4404's. I plan on either rebuilding a 4404 with new chain vc and the works which will be pretty expensinve Probably around $600 Dollars. Or putting in a 4406 like some on this forum have done. I would like a manual shift but lots of searching has revealed there scarce and pretty high priced. So my main question is if I go with an electric shift that has vss in it, and expedition/navigator rear end, can I just drive it around in 2wd for now and not hook up the shift motor. Will this work? I desperately need to get her back on the road at minimal cost as my research shows the electric shift 4406's are easier to find an cheaper. Also when I get ready to do the wiring Is there some one here that could help me out a little bit with some Q and A as I am not to slick on the wiring. Another thing after I put in my new transmission the OD light is blinking. Any reason why that would happened. I'm pretty sure I hooked all the sensors up correctly. Mabey I should clean them out. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone with a 4404 TC and they are prepairing to do some surgery get a quarter inch stubby ratchet with a swiveling head. I got mine at hf for 10$ and it will zip all the way around the tc without having to take that center console out. Just thought I would share.

The wiring for the transfer case should be there, with the exception of a short section from under the drivers seat to the t-case. You can grab that from a V6 Ex that is the same year as yours. You will also need a A4WD GEM from the same year V6 EX as well. And yes you can leave it in 2wd for a while. I wouldn't go too long because you could damage the clutch.

So If I get electronics from same year I don't have to do any extra wiring. Just plug up the new gem and tc wiring harness. I saw one conversion were this guy ran two extra wires under the hood and made a spot for a fuse in the fuse box. and Isn't there also something that is supposed to go behind the passenger side air bag.

is there any updates on this???? as i am fixing to go down the same road,,, but i plan on jumping the wiring so i dont have to use the gem ...

Back