Why Can't Anyone Help Me W/ Wheels & Tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why Can't Anyone Help Me W/ Wheels & Tires?

Little bit frustrated here... Twice now I've tried asking for help with wheel sizing and tires and no one has responded to either thread.....

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT.... I'd like to know if the following 20 inch wheels will fit on my truck:

Panther Vector 519

519.jpg

I'm very unfamiliar with wheel sizing and don't know who else to ask....

If these wheels will fit on my truck, are the following tires the right size for these wheels and will they fit on my truck?

Goodyear Fortera SL Edition

275/45HR20

gy_fortera_sl_ci3_l.jpg

gy_fortera_sl_ci2_l.jpg

Please help me....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
Your stock rims/tires are 16" rims with 235/70 tires which have a height of 28.95 inches and a width of 9.25"

The tires that you have on there are a total of 29.74" and they have a width of 10.82".

The height of the tires doesn't seem like it would be any issue but you would have to check the backspacing on the rims because the extra 1.5" of width might give you some issues with rubbing. I believe it will fit but I am not an expert. If worse comes to worse you should be able to pick up a set of .5" wheel spacers and that will fix you right up. They are like $40 on ebay. Good luck.

Oh PS if you wanted to check other tire sizes use this site:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit
just type in your stock tire size or truck, than the tire size you want to know and hit compare. It is a very useful site.:thumbsup:

Andy, Thanks for the reply...

When you click on that link for the wheels, there are different sizes listed for the 20" version... I found these tires because another 2004 Explorer owner has them on his truck.... So they SHOULD fit...

I contacted a American Tire Distributor Dealer in PA and he says that the Panther Vector 519 with the 18" offset will fit my truck... Can you confirm?

I'd hate to order $900 worth of wheels only to find out they don't fit when I get them to shop for balancing and mounting.....

Andy, Thanks for the reply...

When you click on that link for the wheels, there are different sizes listed for the 20" version... I found these tires because another 2004 Explorer owner has them on his truck.... So they SHOULD fit...

I contacted a American Tire Distributor Dealer in PA and he says that the Panther Vector 519 with the 18" offset will fit my truck... Can you confirm?

I'd hate to order $900 worth of wheels only to find out they don't fit when I get them to shop for balancing and mounting.....

Yea i didn't see your other thread, if a moderator sees this they should merge them, you shouldn't start a new thread because people aren't answering, just continue typing on the old one, but its a rookie mistake i did it too don't worry haha:D
As for what you said, call the people who you asked back and ask them specifically if the 20" backspacing will fit, or what the backspacing is compared to the 18" rims. I see you said the 18" rim offset will fit but on the 20 inch rims the offset can be different. I would say you are going to be ok generally, but if you have the wheels completely turned to one side or another you might have some rubbing. A lot of people have that issue when adding bigger tires/rims, but its not too bad. On the other hand, I am pretty sure that people can run 31x10.5 tires on a stock 2004 ex without rubbing, and that width is very close to yours. In the end, if the distributor says the backspacing is the same than you should be good. If you tell them what truck you have and what rims you want they should definately be able to tell you if they'll fit. :thumbsup:

Andy, I'm completely in the dark with all the terminology and technical aspects of this... I literally need someone to say "Yes this will fit correctly and these tires will fit those wheels", etc....

I know the Dealer should be able to tell me that the wheels will fit correctly for my truck... I'm assuming tirerack.com should be able to tell me that the tires will fit those wheels correctly....

I don't think I'll have any issues with the tires rubbing....

let me do some quick research and ill try to get you a 100% yes or no within an hour

Understood...

Donner that was my second thread asking for help... And as you can see, no one could definitively answer me whether or not those wheels would fit correctly on my truck.... All I got was one person that said it "should" but that I should wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in..... Which of course never happened....

That rim looks familiar... hmm. I think someone else has the same idea as you. Let me check for the link..

100% will fit with those tires, however all the sites I found say that minor rubbing is possible, but they do fit. Again the minor rubbing really doesn't affect anything and you won't notice it unless you are turning your wheel all the way. You are good to go:thumbsup:

Thanks Andy....

I wanted to find wheels with a radial pattern but I didn't like a lot of what I saw.... I decided to search similar year Explorer's on cardomain.com and found these pictures:

Panther1.jpg

Panther2.jpg

Panther3.jpg

Here's a picture of my truck:

SIDE.jpg

Here's a picture of those wheels photoshopped onto my truck:

explorerpanther.jpg

So these particular wheels are only about $210/each... Which is the low end of my price range.... Pretty happy about that... The Goodyear tires will be around $140/each....

Back