• Register Today It's free!

Why did Ford do this???

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
I've been having issues with my ABS activating at low speeds off and on. Instead of looking for the problem when its -5 degrees outside, I thought I would just pull the fuse to deactivate the system and fix it in spring.

I pulled the ABS fuse and it deactivated more than the ABS system. The speedometer stopped working. I drove around the block and sure enough, the odometer wasn't logging any new mileage. Being the ethical person I am, I replaced the fuse so I had a working speedometer (and odometer).

Theoretically, you could pull your ABS fuse and run up the miles without logging them on the odometer. Why would Ford design something like this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dunno why they'd do that, but i just disco'd one of my sensors (alec's advice) cause my larger tires were throwing the abs off int he snow and that works fine

The reason it does this is because on 98+ Ford uses the ABS sensors as the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). However, I was unaware that pulling the ABS fuse completely dissabled the VSS. :rolleyes: After a few runs like that it'll turn on the Check Engine Light.

yup, i knew someone who wired in a switch so he could turn his odometer off.

LOL!

99% of modern vehicle's odometer's now days run of the spedometer, all you have to do to run up miles is disable the spedometer sensor located in most vehicle's tailshafts, rear ends or ABS systems.;)

Originally posted by 32to1
99% of modern vehicle's odometer's now days run of the spedometer, all you have to do to run up miles is disable the spedometer sensor located in most vehicle's tailshafts, rear ends or ABS systems.;)
Um. . .didn't the the odometer almost always run off the same sensor/gear as the speedometer? :rolleyes:

hehe, its fuse 22. i know that off hand, for reasons i probally shouldent elaborate on.

Well that sucks, a couple weeks ago I got pissed at my ABS and was wondering if removing that fuse would just disable them...good thing I didn't do it.

mmm you mean I could keep my truck reading 139000 miles for awhile ha.

wait probobly woulden't do me any good I woulden't know when to oil change. rotate tires or anything.
and probobly woulden't get me any more money when I sell it which probobly won't happen for a long while.

but I do know now that I'm driveing a a decent amount more then my odometer is reading with my 33s.
didn't change the speed gear. don't know where it is

You'll be hatin it if your tranny is electronically controlled. It uses the speed reading to determine up and downshifts. If you disable your VSS, hopefully your tranny will go out before you get a few more dollars in resale.

Originally posted by snowburns
Well that sucks, a couple weeks ago I got pissed at my ABS and was wondering if removing that fuse would just disable them...good thing I didn't do it.

Your '96 VSS is on a different system than the ABS. It was in 1998 when they combined the two into one sensor.

Or you can take the dash cover off and move the odometer back a few thou by hand....

Or you can drive around in reverse;)

Or you can take the dash cover off and move the odometer back a few thou by hand....

doesn't that screw up the odometer and it doesn't line up right any more??

or is that some myth??

just so you guys know i'm not gonna be selling the ex for some time. I think it's always gonna be my trail rig.
may be trailered though at some point.

on my 96 i pulled the fuse and it just stoped the ABS..the odomiter still worked..but mine's a 96

Originally posted by Lefy
but I do know now that I'm driveing a a decent amount more then my odometer is reading with my 33s.
didn't change the speed gear. don't know where it is
Well, it'd be hard to change . . .cause you don't have one ;)
You either need to have ford reprogram your computer, or get a Superlift TruSpeed.

Originally posted by section525
You'll be hatin it if your tranny is electronically controlled. It uses the speed reading to determine up and downshifts. If you disable your VSS, hopefully your tranny will go out before you get a few more dollars in resale.
My tranny actually shifts better w/o a speedo :rolleyes: :confused:

Originally posted by sean4385
While that may work, I believe the PCM also keeps track of mileage (?) . . .so if ford ever scanned the computer and saw that the odometer didn't match. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't think that can be true because you can awalys reset your compter i found when i pulled out my insturment cluster fuse my speedo and odomiter stopped working

Back