Why did you buy your truck? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why did you buy your truck?

The 94 2WD explorer that I bought new in Florida wasn't cutting it in the snow covered Washington state mountains where I move to, so I bought a 98 new with every option. I swore that I wasn't ever going to have to trade in a car again because I didn't get an option (4WD) that I decided that I'd need only 4 years later. I've still got the 98 to get me through the chicagoland snows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always had a fascination with these trucks. It began when I was 8 and my parents brought home a brand new '93 white Limited - I was amazed with all the buttons at the time. I learned to drive it when I was about 10 at my grandparent's ranch and was crushed when my dad traded it a few years later.

Fast forward to 2010 and I was tired of driving an F-150 and not having any room for friends. Came across a fantastic deal on a 2003 Eddie Bauer that had been posted earlier that day - drove out with a friend and bought it on the spot. It's been perfect for ski trips, towing our boat, and has made 4 tours from San Francisco to Mexico for dental service trips while I was in school. I got married earlier this year and my wife decided she liked it too much, so it's now hers.

Rather than getting a new car, I bought a second gen for myself. It's harder to find them in nice shape as most of them are pretty used up these days. The one I bought, a 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 needed a fair amount of work, and in the end I've probably paid too much for it too - but it's coming around, and I always loved medium wedgewood blue.

I would sure love to find a nice '93-94 white limited again though....

Not even close to the same. I had 91 fsb that rusted out so i got rid of it. I used to play in the drive around in the fields and never got stuck. I dont do that with my explorer i feel its alot less capable. But like some one said how often do u go off road

its v8, 4x4, can carry 5 peeps + gear,has cheap spare parts, and can tow almost as much. i only wish the roof came off.

Cause I needed a vehicle and it was only $78
Greg

Buddy had to many vehicles and his son was just getting his permit the insurance company required for him to be insured on every vehicle which they own 22 cars and trucks his 1992 ford explorer xlt had 80,000 original miles 4-wheel Drive Worked great brand new 4 link suspension from rough country 4 inches of lift interior in flawless condition so I bought it for $200 bought some real nice 2" hub centric wheel spacers for $250 bought me some cheap Pro Comp bead locks for 400 with spare bought me five 35 inch bfg mud tires that he had laying around for $500 built a tube steel bumper and brush guard for about $300 bought a moon visor with built in cab lights for $200 a pioneer llld tuner deck with full pioneer speaker set up for $ 400 from a bud 2 10 inch JL subs and an old school Rockford Fosgate amp for $300 from same bud
Total truck build was $2250
Did I do good for a badass budget build

Last week I bought my 16 year old son a 96 Explorer XLT for his first car. The paint is flawless, not a scratch or debt anywhere on the body. The interior is clean and looks brand new. 40k on the rebuilt engine, plugs replaced with platinum plugs and a new coil pack just before I bought it.

I bought this car for him because it's bigger and makes me feel safer. I got an AMAZING deal on it. It's in beautiful condition and is a 4x4 which I really wanted him to have since we live in Washington state and the winters can be rough for a new driver. He LOVES it!

:scratch:My 96 XLT 4dr has been slowly heading south for a while now. I still have big plans for it, but it needs a sabatical. Found a 1st gen sport with low miles, good runner with a few minor problems that someone like me can handle, I'm only it's 3rd owner, took it home for $800. Got big plans for this one already, some of which may already be in motion, which would mean the 96's sabatical could be a little longer than I thought? :scratch: Really happy with this find so far.

I bought the Mazda pickup now .. i needed a DD and a truck for my new job, price was right and i newer own a pickup truck before:D

i moved to FL with my company, and thanks to various (new) expenses, and my propensity to allow relatives to stay rent free for a long time, (because i have sucker stamped on my head) a very nice man came and took my 2011 equinox away :( so i found the Ex on craigslist for $900 being sold by a nice lady who kicker her (EX) out and wanted rid of the car too *LOL*

can't say I am upset, it did come with yukky 20 inch chrome rims and "rubber band" tires, which i sold and bought stock 15's from the pick and pull, and i have fixed most of the issues that the previous owner had caused by lack of maintenance (he was more concerned with a big stereo than reliable mechanics) There are still some issues with a 225,000 car, i have added a few "essentials" (auto dim mirror - fell in love with that on my equinox and given FL drivers never adjust their headlights and/or have crazy lifts i think it is essential!) fixed the stupid rear high level stop light with LED's (and replaced the regular brake lights with LEDS too) stripped out all his old 0 gauge amp wire (that was shorting and killing batteries) and am replacing the half busted aftermarket head unit with a car PC... all in all all that (and my time) has cost about an additional $200 but they were stuff i would play with anyway.

The best part is it is a (central )FLO-Grown car so has basic superficial rust that comes off with a damp rag :D

it has already made 2 trips to Chicago (where i moved from) at less than a days notice... I actually have complete confidence in it, and love the V8 it might not be the most powerful iteration of the V8 but it just goes forever! - and with no car payment and much cheaper insurance i love the car!

Bought my 99 Explorer because basically it was cheap. just 103k on the clock, clean, has a few minor issues and cost me £500 (about $600) has LPG so is cheap to run, petrol in the UK is VERY expensive. Fancied one for a while and now I have one.

Bought the 99 XLT in 2005 as a family vehicle when me and the Mrs were expecting our first child. I admittedly was never a SUV guy, but wife's family was all about SUVs. Twelve years later, I would take a 2nd Gen Explorer over just about any other vehicle because of the familiarity I have with it inside and out. A few years after buying the Ex, we bought an 03 Durango for my wife as the "reliable new vehicle"...(it's a fine truck as well). Since the Ex became "mine"...it has begun the transformation into the offroad machine that it is today.

With a little TLC, a driveway mechanic, and the advice from you guys...this machine is running very well for a 17 year old vehicle with 220,000+ miles and still going.

While I wouldn't say I am a complete SUV guy now, I would definitely say I am a Ford Explorer guy and always will be.

Back