$200 V8 Project | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$200 V8 Project

lean both banks on returnless 302 usually = weak fuel pump
As long as your PCV is still seated in its grommet and no obvious air leaks in the intake
:)

Good idea, check the PCV for sure.

My white 98 now runs very rough, after a new pump, idle is just 30psi on my gauge. I haven't had time to check anything else yet, the PCV I'll reach back there and see how it is. My black 98 coughed a couple times last year one day, and that pushed the PCV out. It was no fun to reach in the back and reseat it, but it hasn't come back out.

I'm doing plugs and wires tomorrow, and taking a shot at filling/wrapping the EGR pipe hole. It's a lot louder now with a new fuel pump and the rough running. I have two Bosch O2's also, but the "long" one doesn't look long enough. Cold weather is here again, snowing now and through the night, 40's tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah it's raining here a lot, even though it's in the 40s here mostly with occasional warm spells, the raining kills it for me. I hadn't thought of the PCV valve, that's an idea. I don't remember if I've ever even changed it on this truck.

Yeah it's raining here a lot, even though it's in the 40s here mostly with occasional warm spells, the raining kills it for me. I hadn't thought of the PCV valve, that's an idea. I don't remember if I've ever even changed it on this truck.

LOL, oh you've never changed that before. Trust me, unless you have the hands of a six year old, there's no room to get at it with normal hands. Pulling it loose or back in is no trouble, but you can't get the hose off and on it with just one hand.

Well I have changed it ONCE, the V8 engine in question was sitting in front of my Eddie Bauer before I put it in, but never with it IN the truck.

I just today got a feel of the one in my white truck. It seemed fine, that is, the PCV is wrapped originally in a foam feeling material. The older ones the outer part feels hard and shrunk a bit, I think this is another item that has been changed on this truck, likely with the upper intake off. My truck is still running badly, the CMP was destroyed though. Now it throws a 0354 code and a 1401 code, pointing to coil primary, and a kind of EGR flow high. I'm wondering if it's bad plugs, the #1 I had to pull to find TDC was worn to about .075 or more. I have spare coils, and a DPFE sensor if I knew where it was.

I do believe this truck's fuel pump to be ready to retire, it's got a new habit. Occasionally it'll run like a bat outta hell, but sometimes it won't seem to want to get out of it's own way. Last night I mashed on it to merge and it ran like it was a brand new truck. It's definitely got something amiss because my Eddie Bauer will run circles around it. Oh well, a pump isn't THAT bad to do on it, they're like $40 off RA anyhow. Throw a filter in it too while I'm at it. While I'm doing the manifold, I'm gonna do the wires, plugs and coils too. Might as well just roll through everything while I'm going.

Test the fuel pressure, the pump is the worst job to do. Mine did go out, but after that the engine ran very rough, which ended up being the CMP, plugs and one coil pack. I hadn't gotten to the plugs and wires yet, but I had them. I ordered the new CMP the day after the first chirping I heard, and it died three days later. So a lot happened fast, the plugs were the worst I've seen. I did the four easiest to do at night after the CMP, and it running rough. The next day I got two misfire codes(0302 and 0308), so I did the other four plugs, and one coil that I had spare. That got it running smoothly again.

So do the stuff you know is old first. I got basically all of the plugs with a long wobble extension, from the wheel well. I was happy the plug wires let go, often old ones will rip the ends out. Do them after the engine has run, being warmer helps.

So it rolled 295K miles, and then I hit a deer...

Front bumper off my Mountaineer I'd had on a whole six days is junk, and the entire front clip excluding hood and passenger fender is trashed. So $100 later it's got the fourth nose on it it's had in my ownership. Gonna have to so some extra work this time though, or down the line once I get time to take and fix it better than I did, it messed up the rad support where the battery tray goes. So much for the tinted lights I had, also lost my $55 set of headlight bulbs. The fender I mashed and worked with until it's actually near perfect.

So I've decided that it's coming time to snag my next project. I have my eyes on two victims, a 95 Ranger 4 cylinder from my childhood and a 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 Explorer I've mentioned a million times. I'm leaning the Explorer but time will tell. Might do something stupid and buy BOTH.

So update time, the car rolled 298K miles and I've been living with the bad O2 sensor, I found it doesn't seem to behave badly if I run Sunoco gas, it'll still get 20 to the gallon and everything and occasionally the CEL will even go out. With that said, I'm about to get some slack but I've BOUGHT another vehicle. It wasn't the Ranger, that had a bad trans, and it wasn't the Eddie Bauer because I've got the V8 Explorer I always wanted so I haven't bought it (still on the table potentially once I get off my ass and fix the 96).

That said, if I didn't buy either of those, what did I buy? Well I'm likely insane but I bought a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2 2WD, 190K miles on it, club cab with everything but the leather, two tone green and gray for $300 off a good friend. I actually bought the vehicle I hate. One would ask why? I'm still pondering that but I like the truck a lot and the guy finally offered so.

traitor!!

A 98 Dodge 1500? Pfffft we use those to fill the holes in the road

kidding of course
$300 runs and drives I would so do some donuts

So I'm back, I've apparently been gone three months, so here's the update. It rolled 300K, and is up to 301K. It's starting to really show the age though, it's tired and shows it, but it's been a trooper. I've got my Eddie Bauer V8 swap completely finished, I plan on doing a YouTube walkaround so you can see what I've built.

As for my 96, I've been hunting a transmission, thought I'd found it earlier, but at 142K miles, wouldn't even move, at all, I even tried abusing it into moving, no dice, absolutely NO gears. I've found one I think is a reman in a wrecked 95 though, so we'll see.

As for the current state, the 96 is still DOA with the trans, the Eddie Bauer is what I drive for a nice vehicle, and nice it is, my 2000 is getting ready for retirement, and the Dodge truck is going to take it's place.

Might rebuild the 2000, might not, I've got a chance at a 99 Sport I want to V8 swap. I'm down to do another V8 swap.

Back