Why do my front sway link bushings keep going bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why do my front sway link bushings keep going bad?

torqlox

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Explorer XLS
I've replaced 3 sets already under warranty, and I am using the "Moog" brand which is supposedly the highest quality Advanced Auto has to offer. Every time the truck goes up for tire rotation or oil change I see one of the two sides torn to shreds. Is there any specific torque rating that is not being met? I am a moderate driver. Thanks, all!

Is your vehicle stock ride height? If NOT, then you need to modify the end link sleeve length to compensate. Longer if you're lifted, shorter if you're lowered. The correct endlink length is th eone that allows the bar end to sit parallel with the lower control, with the vehicle sitting level,on the ground, at ride height. Anything other than this creates "pre-load" on the swaybar, and will cause premature failure of the bushings, not to mention having a negative effect on handling. This applies to both the front and rear; although adjusting the endlink length on the rear requires fabricating something or cutting/welding the stock link.
I would also recommend using Energy Suspension polyurethane endlink and frame mount swaybar bushings. Better handling and they last longer.

I just saw you are in Florida. Keep in mind that the heat/salt water is also going to more quickly deteriorate stock-style rubber bushings.

Also, overtightening the nut(s), and "squashing" the rubber biscuits will kill them pretty quick.

Thanks for your response. My truck is only lowered one inch and is perfectly aligned. I will see how long my newest set lasts, and will apply your advice regarding shorter sleeves. Thank you!

Back