• Register Today It's free!

why not 4.2?

Rob_B

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 F-150
I was thinking, why does Ford keep the 4.0 when they have a 4.2 that they put it F-150's? Not that I have any problems w/ the 4.0, it's a great engine, but they have severly crappy transmissions (speaking from personal experience). Wouldn't it be more economical to get rid of the 4.0, just make the 4.2, like how Chevy's have the 4.3 in the S-10's and half ton's? I don't know, but I'm assuming that the 4.2's use the same auto's as all F-150's which is a great reliable tranny. Also the 4.2 is the same block as the 3.8 used in Mustangs I've heard, so one engine could be used on 3 platforms, so it'd save money w/ more mass production.

Any thoughts, or proof that I"m wrong in assuming the trannies are all the same in F-150's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is a 4.2? I am not much of an engine guy, but I have never heard of a 4.2. In what F-150s do they put them in? I take it that it is a V6?

yeah, it's the V-6 that come's standard in the F-150's that replaced the 4.9 Straigt 6.

Which decade are we talking here?
:D

EDIT: (Okay, apparently Ford is putting V6s in the F150s STILL for some reason :D ) I thought there was only 4.6 and 5.4s.

4.2 engine i am told is based off the 3.8 car engine they had in the windstars and taurus. IMO they are a garabe engine. They should bring back the I6. That was a pretty bullet proof motor. That 4.2 is pretty gutless. They may have more horsepower that the I6 engine, but they lack alot in torque.

Just my .02

Originally posted by section525
EDIT: (Okay, apparently Ford is putting V6s in the F150s STILL for some reason :D ) I thought there was only 4.6 and 5.4s.
I was right there with you!!! I had no idea V6s were offered in F-150s.

my girlfriends mom has a 98 f-150 with the 4.2 and a 5-speed. before she bought it, i asked a buddy who is a tech for ford and he said the 4.2 is one of the best engines they have had in years. a co-worker also has the 4.2 in his 99 or 00 (cant remember) f-150 and he loves it. if you're not pulling anything, its a great engine, IMO.

The 4.0 is a good motor but the transmissions are too small for a 4000lb car..

I know a guy with a 4.2 6 cyl f-150. Hes got almost 150 thousand miles on it. Still runs like new. Its made it from Louisiana and back to Missouri most of its wholey life. I think the guy said around 20 times. He said it gets pretty good gas mileage to. Its also a 5 speed. I think they should put them in explorers also. Just my opinion, Josh

The 4.2L is based off the RWD version of the 3.8L ford. Yes there are two versions of block on the 3.8L. The RWD version covers from the carbed versions put in LTD's to the Thunderbirds and Cougars. The front wheel drive versions were first put in the Taurus/Sable's in 1988. The FWD puts out a few less ponies and torque do to the change in block design. The Windstar's 3.8L uses the same block, rods, crank etc. BUT Ford did pick up on a thing or two from the SHO motor (1989-1995..the V6 Yamaha) when ford put in high flow intake, heads and even dual intake runners and a soild ram intake from the fender with a huge filter. This accounts for an additional 60 horsepower over the Taurus/Sable 3.8L v-6! But a few hp's and torque has to come out of the new OBD-III pcm which allowed better timing, ignition and fuel changes. and YES the 4.2L crank WILL fit in a 3.8L! I had this done on both of my Taurus Police packages (94 and then my 93) and makes a DRASTIC improvement. from what I understand they have very similar bore but the 4.2L uses a much better stroke.

Just my lil info..

Sounds like a 4.2 is just a 3.8 stroked. Like the 289 and 302.

Pretty much...also like the 4.0 and the 2.9..and if i recall the 2.9 was built off the 2.8..or am I misinformed?

While we are speaking of 4.0's...Anyone have any racing experience with them?

Back