Wife's 'new' 98 5.0 valve noise??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wife's 'new' 98 5.0 valve noise???

Jaimec

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
So, based on my love of my '99 4.0 explorer, I bought my wife a '98 5.0 explorer (I know, but I *thought* the price was right on the 5.0).

Turns out it's got a few issues. Number one, being that it had some seriously dirty oil when we bought it, and we drove it a bit hard for a couple of nights. Far less than 2 miles, but it started a clatter that sounds to me like hydraulic valves that are clogged.

I tried some Seafoam (worked wonders on my '98). Poured half in her dirty oil, and half through her intake (brake master cylinder hose intake). Noise went away almost immediately, but came back after a few minutes, though much milder.

It now has a constant tick-tick-tick, but it's in the top end, and doesn't sound terribly serious to me.

My thinking, is to convert to synthetic oil, new filter, and another 1/2 bottle of Seafoam, and see what happens. She will only be driving 1 mile a day for most of the week, plus a few miles to the grocery store, once a week.

Any thoughts?

Jaime

What year is it? If it has the steel tube exhaust manifolds it could very well be the passenger side one is cracked. A cracked exhaust manifold will sound like a stuck lifter.

Also, the proper way to Seafoam the engine on the 5.0 is through the PCV hose. This assures all cylinders are fed. Another option would be the aerosol Seafoam through the intake tube down stream from the MAF.

Dan,

It's a 98. I'll check the exhaust, but the noise got really bad before I seafoamed it, but completely quite after a few minutes running the seafoam. It came back after a bit, but not as bad as before. This really makes me think it's a lifter, or something else that's gunked up.

I bought some synthetic 5-30 oil and a new filter. I'm thinking of changing it out and adding another 1/2 can of seafoam. I'll add it through the PCV this time. I'll add the remainder of the can to the gas.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Jaime

Back