Will 5r55e valve body work in a 4r44e | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 5r55e valve body work in a 4r44e

BillSr81

Reaction score
City, State
Belton, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger 4x4
Hi I bought a rebuilt valve body for my ranger. I have a 4r44e tranny.

The one I bought it said was for 4r44e's, 4r55's, 5r55's. So Im just making sure to ask some of you guys that really know these trannys if itll work.

I didnt want to go to the trouble of putting it in this weekend and something being different and being stuck.

Thanks for the help in advance. I know some people will tell me to search, but I did and couldnt find my answer in any old posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump. anybody know ? Somebody told me the seperator plate is different, do i switch it out?

The hole spacing in one section of the separator plate is different. The EPC & TCC solenoids are different as well.
4R55E-5R55E_separator_plate_differences_.jpg

So what would you do. Should I switch out my plate? Or buy a new one for my trans, and swap out the selonoids

You have to make sure that the separator plate, EPC & TCC solenoids are correct for your application. Both valve bodies are pretty much swappable.

You are saying then, that the 5R55E does not use the separate-mounted solenoid block like 5R55S?

I have been under the impression that the 5R55- were all basically alike, regardless of suffix letter. imp

**** guys now you lost me. Yall are too smart

The 5R55E uses discrete solenoids unlike the 5R55W/S/N which use a solenoid block.

How does one go about finding out such details? For example, recently, it began to appear, through reading many posts, that the 5-speed automatic had been in use in the 90s- I thought it came along in 3rd. gen. Explorers.

imp

I put it in and it works. Still have a little flare but not as bad. At least now I can rebuild my old one and still drive my truck

No I just put it in like it was. Kinda pisses me off that I really didnt fix my flair problem, its slightly less noticable, but still there.

But at least I got a new filter and ATF, and next time wont be so bad, I added a drain plug

Man my truck is so weird. Ok I drive about 9 miles each way to work and back. About half way to work the transmission starts shifting like I have a shift kit. And the flare goes away.
WTF???
Crazy

At that point, you should see flashing lights on the dash - that's the computer defaulting to failsafe mode (really hard shifts)

You have the wrong solenoids, the wrong separator Plate (the plates have different holes in them) you really can't expect it to shift correctly.

i wonder if it will screw it up riding like this?

Back