Will a relay still "click" without power? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a relay still "click" without power?

Installed backup lights and don't know what's wrong. I used a SPDT setup, and I hooked everything up right. When the truck X into reverse, I hear the relay "click" like it's supposed to. But the aux lights don't come on and both bulbs were just replaced. I popped the hood this morning and noticed one of the butt connectors on the power wire to them had come off. I don't know when this happened, So that's why I'm asking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. No power, no click. If the solenoid is not energized, you won't here the click as the relay snaps shut (If it's wired correctly.)

A relay can still click without power, if it is the constant
power and not the switched power. The solenoid can
click and complete the circuit but wont work if there
is no constant power to the relay to compete that
circuit, if that makes sense.

you are right.... but i was refering to power as a whole..... no positive at all and no clicking will be present as the circuit isnt completed

I'll repeat, if you don't have power to the solenoid, it will not click. If you are hearing the click, you have power to the solenoid side and it is grounded properly. However, you may not be applying power to the circuit side, which would explain the click but no lights.

Two dumb questions:
1) Did you ground the lights, or did you use the bolt as the ground?? The mount may not be connected to the ground. That would also cause a no light condition.

2) I see you put the truck in reverse, did you have the ignition turned on (or just unlocked) when you did it?? If you had it just unlocked, and you used switched power, that would also explain the problem.

Hmmm, maybe I have a bad relay. Tried everything. All new wiring too! I'll get a new relay and try tomorrow.

Back