will an add a leaf lower my rig

GRIZZMAN666

Reaction score
City, State
everett washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer, 31x10.5s
hello all,

id like to start by saying that this site has been a huge help to me and thanks for everyones info.

ive got a 92 explorer and im installing a lift. coils in the front and rear shackles. nothin huge just for a little bigger tires. i was on ebay and i seen a coil spacer kit and it came with rear add a leafs. since my rig is s.u.a wont add a leafs lower it? any input is appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can see why you'd ask, however the thickness of the AAL is offset by the additional arch support it provides. You will see a net lift -

Anything below the main leaf will not lower the vehicle. If it is between the main leaf and the axle, it will. An AAL will not lower the ride height at all.

Thanks for the info. It just seems wrong to me for some reason. I'll put them on and see what happens

Thanks for the info. It just seems wrong to me for some reason. I'll put them on and see what happens

It is recommended to use new u bolts also. I read this after using old ones with no issues, but....yeah. I had to throw this in there.

I can guarantee you will gain a net lift with an add-a-leaf on spring under. I gained about 1.75". Results will depend on the strength of your leaf packs.

The add-a-leaf adds lift by forcing the whole spring back into a greater arch. The thickness of the extra leaf itself has nothing to do with the ride height, even though it's easy to think it would affect it.

Adding a leaf to the pack is not the same as installing a lowering block. As Tod pointed out, the main leaf in the pack carries the weight and connects the axle to the truck. Since the leaf goes in the pack under the main leaf, it adds support and higher spring rate to the main leaf.

You might have already learned in your research that an AAL will make the ride a little more stiff in the rear. AAL is a good way to go, but another option is shackles. Nothing wrong with using a good set of shackles. They cost less and net you a little more articulation. Street manners will be similar as before the lift. /$.02

Nothing wrong with using a good set of shackles. They cost less and net you a little more articulation.

Really? I paid $75 for the shackles and $32 for the add-a-leaf. I don't understand how they net more articulation, either?:dunno:

Back