Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I am in a new home and stained my cedar fence today per HOA. The 3" pulley was delivered as I was cleaning-up.

I picked-up a smaller belt and nstalled the 3" pulley this evening. It is obviously gettin' more boost! Awesome! I added fuel and cut 2 degrees of timing to be safe and it pulled great!

Tomorrow I will hook-up an accurate boost gauge and measure/rip a WOT at around 45 degrees. I want to keep conditions consistent with prior runs/pulls and see what bosst it shows.

It got to sunset and I am tired I am whining more than the blower........even though more boost = more blower whine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All smiles here! It is producing 7.5lbs not 8lbs with the new 3" pulley. It's got to be maxing-out the exhaust and would be a bit hot in the summer. The Real World Boost Calculation for my build vs Theoretical Boost is 70%. This engine is getting about 70% of Theoretical, perfect boost.

It required a shorter belt:
thumbnail_IMG_0301.jpg

Hitting Second gear at WOT/full boost:
Hittngn Second.jpg

ECT is good and doesn't climb after a pull at 45 degrees. 180 degree plus ACT, but it drops back to 140 quickly ( Yah add another 50-60 degrees ambient temperature and she predetonates). Conservative timing at 18 degrees. Good Air Fuel, and the MAF only at 3.97 volts of 5 volt max. She is in boost and Open Loop Fuel is forced from 80% on up. She is maxed, loaded-up a 110%. I can't log boost but I can tune from these datalogs.

I noticed today in Closed Loop the Oxygen sensors are running 8% out from each other. That ain't good for mileage. I put two new sensors in with the engine dang it. Looking at new O2 sensors today.

You see, pictured below, a Pulley Change Kit (Antiknock Kit):
Notice the duct taped combo pulley holder tool/tensioner pulley cam hex wrench (I made a thin, 1- 1/16" wrench today to fit the tensioner pulley cam and it is combined with a 4 1/2" grinder, chuck tool which has been slighlty modified to fit Kenne Bell pulleys).

The rest of the items include: a 3/8 socket driver with allen wrench head for blower pulley bolt, 9/16 wrench for tensioner pulley bolt, 3-1/4" supercharger pulley. and longer belt.

Kit.jpg

I looked around for a dyno shop. Then I did a search for Desktop Dyno and found there is a Version 5 now that will work with windows 10 and 11.

I chose the Laptop method. I input my engine bored .040, GT40P Head flow, 9.1 CR, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Explorer Camshaft, and my exhaust. I played with DD2000 and 2003 in the past and it helped me decide to go with a stock or close to stock cam for daily driving a heavy X, F150, or Bronco.. The new version won't load old files but will at least load .cam files of which I saved a bunch.

This is about where she is at with 7.5lbs of boost:
7.5lbs Boost Power Curves.jpg

This is the same but for swapping-in a favorite old cam:
Favorite Cam.jpg

That's is more power than the exhaust can handle.

Perhaps in a couple years, still at 7.5lbs but with Comps Blower cam and higher flowing exhaust:
Red with Comp Blower Cam.png

I looked around for a dyno shop. Then I did a search for Desktop Dyno and found there is a Version 5 now that will work with windows 10 and 11.

I chose the Laptop method. I input my engine bored .040, GT40P Head flow, 9.1 CR, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Explorer Camshaft, and my exhaust. I played with DD2000 and 2003 in the past and it helped me decide to go with a stock or close to stock cam for daily driving a heavy X, F150, or Bronco.. The new version won't load old files but will at least load .cam files of which I saved a bunch.

This is about where she is at with 7.5lbs of boost:
View attachment 446939

This is a favorite old cam:
View attachment 446942

That's is way more power than the exhaust can handle.
Interested to know more about this software

Desktop Dyno is cool, has allowed me to find the two cams I posted pics of above and compare them to the stock cam.

The Process:
First I built a stock Explorer 302 for a baseline, saved it and will use it for builds and comparisons.

Second I input other power adders in my build (Electric cooling fans, 4" cool air intake, 75mm T-body, TMH's, and Cat Back - 2 1/2" to 3" chamber muffler to single tail pipe. This gives me the current engine baseline to which I can modify.

Third, I was able to add a 2.1l Kenne Bell, No 2.2l available but I compensated for that. There are no Powerdyne or Paxton blowers in the pick list but there are all of the similar Vortech's. I now have a baseline with blower at 7.5lbs.

Fourth, I am able to now add and subtract power adders and see what they would do to my build!

I chose these examples based on extreme's. Here is a comparison of Comps Motha Thumpr, 235/249. lfit .54/.526, an aggressive street/strip cam Vs Comps Blowers Cam. The Motha Thumpr would get a Foxbody Stang down the strip fast with higher stall TC and of course other adders my build does not have to support use of this cam. The Blower cam is great for all around daily driven X which weighs a bit more than a Foxbody Stang. The torque gets the heavier X moving better at low rpm for a daily driver.

Motha Thumpr:
Mutha Thumper Comps 235-249.jpg

Blower Cam:

I know you are relatively satisfied with where the project is at, but the 75mm TB is small to me for boost, and I'd like to see two mufflers and tail pipes. The far back of the exhaust doesn't have to be the same large size as the collectors, even a pair of mufflers and 2.25" pipes would help a little. The two mufflers are twice as important as the tail pipes, those and cats are the biggest restrictions(not counting the tiny headers).

I'd fit a Fox 90mm TB, that would be easy if you already altered the cable bracket to use a Fox TB.

Yep, 90mm might help, but would be very touchy for daily driving. The 75mm already requires a gentle foot around town. The blower intake is at the back of the blower and the elbow is right against the firewall. The 90mm T-body would be before the restrictive intake elbow at the back of the supercharger. I don't think it would help much without adding a larger custom intake elbow for the blower.

I can post results, illustrate that for you, but as I thought, Desktop Dyno (DD) shows an improvement of 10 horses above 4500rpm with the 90mm intake tract flow added. DD has an intake flow calc. based on size. It would be interesting to get the flow on that blower intake elbow because that is the weak link in the intake tract.

As you know I can't but would like to bolt-up some 1 5/8" Long tube headers, 2 1/2" collectors/downs, High flow 2 1/2" cats, dual 2 1/2" high flow chamber mufflers and turn downs (nothing lost to tailpipe turns). This results in 50HP gains above 4,500RPM according to Desktop Dyno. I'd like the power but not the noise, and it wouldnit pollute, stupid CARB.

The blower cam with more duration and lift would make the biggest difference. This even with the current exhaust. She would pick-up another 25-35 horses above 4500 with a more better exhaust, but very little at lower rpms.

I'd may make an off-road exhaust by going from the TMH's to 2 3/4" collectors/downs, High flow 2 1/2" cats, dual 2 1/2" high flow chamber mufflers and turn downs. In the meantime, I am hoping and wish the secondary cats would puke-out their guts, the tailpipe would fall off, and a turn down would grow out the 3" muffler exit.............not gonna happen.

In comparing the two screen shots below, note the loss of torque down low with larger exhaust and gain in horsepower at high rpm.

Again Comp Blower cam with my current set-up:

Large Exhaust with Comp Blower Cam:
Red Large Exhaust  Comp Blower Cam.jpg

It is very hard, working with the many unique restrictions of these trucks. The available parts are the hardest part, you have to adapt everything you think of. The some items like the blower plenums out there, you either live with them as is, or remake them better than the production part was.

Your intake and the KB plenum are likely in the same league as the 75mm TB, a little small for great airflow/boost. You already have a good combination, anything else will be smaller gains, and/or more labor and cost.

It is very hard, working with the many unique restrictions of these trucks. The available parts are the hardest part, you have to adapt everything you think of. The some items like the blower plenums out there, you either live with them as is, or remake them better than the production part was.

Your intake and the KB plenum are likely in the same league as the 75mm TB, a little small for great airflow/boost. You already have a good combination, anything else will be smaller gains, and/or more labor and cost.
Yep,
As confirmed by Desktop Dyno 5:
A custom 90mm flowing, elbow is around 10 horses.
Big exhaust DIY $700, a whole bunch of labor, 25-50HP gains and could result in a $10k fine.
Cam change $1,000, a whole bunch of labor, and 25-50HP gains.

Not cheap, but not bad for the cost. The issue is all labor on me. I am currently gassed, out of juice from moving and a bit burnt on laboring. That said, I am most likely to swap cams sometime in the future as that is the best bang for the buck!

Enjoy the truck for a good while, it's hard to be working on cars most of the time. I've been burned out from doing regular for me brakes, oil and other fluids, suspension work, steering, and tires. My work trucks have taken about 2-3 times more work to keep them up, so time/labor/money can wear you out figuratively. I plan to enjoy car work much more when it's for just me and pleasure.

What extra pulleys do you have so far now? I did a little more math and the hypothetical size I will need to begin is 3.6"(3 5/8"), but trying a correction factor of 9%(half of your 18%) points to a 3.3"(3 3/8") pulley. I might finally make time this Winter to sell my 2.2 and get the 2.6 with a Cobra snout(141mm).

Enjoy the truck for a good while, it's hard to be working on cars most of the time. I've been burned out from doing regular for me brakes, oil and other fluids, suspension work, steering, and tires. My work trucks have taken about 2-3 times more work to keep them up, so time/labor/money can wear you out figuratively. I plan to enjoy car work much more when it's for just me and pleasure.

What extra pulleys do you have so far now? I did a little more math and the hypothetical size I will need to begin is 3.6"(3 5/8"), but trying a correction factor of 9%(half of your 18%) points to a 3.3"(3 3/8") pulley. I might finally make time this Winter to sell my 2.2 and get the 2.6 with a Cobra snout(141mm).
3" for mid fall to mid spring
3 1/4" the rest of the year.
3 11/16" for under 1,500' and warm temps.
My spread sheet below:

Kenne Bell Tuning by OctaneOctane PtsStarting OOctane PtsStartingOctane PtsStarting
Pulley (Based on minimum of 91 Octane Premium in Montrose and 93 at low altitude)3"
0.00​
91.00​
3.25"
0.00​
91.00​
3.68"
2.00​
93.00​
1000′ gain in altitude = .5 octane.5800
2.90​
2.90​
0.00​
1 air fuel ratio = 2 octane.1
2.00​
2.00​
2.00​
1° retard = -.5 octane8
4.00​
4.00​
4.00​
ECT drop 10 degrees = 1 octane (Swapped 160 vs stock 192)
2.00​
2.00​
2.00​
Ambient Temperature Change 20 degrees = 1 Octane (Input ambient) (70+20=1 octane 70-20=-1 octane)75
-0.25​
-1.00​
-2.75​
Octane Boost Needed????
3.00​
3.00​
3.00​
1psi boost requires +1.5 octane.7.52
11.28​
10.13​
8.19​
TOTAL Safety Margin???
2.37​
2.78​
2.06​

Correct.

That sounds just like mine

Cams???
How much valve lift can you use with Stock Explorer GT40P stuff?

The stock cam is 176/197 & .442/.448

Comps "Magnum 206/206" the name is the duration with both intake and exhaust at .48" lift. It's a mild cam but if I drop boost back to 6lbs, my build looses no low RPM power and runs up too 400 horses at 4,500. I reran numbers and edited here after I remembered and verified that the 1 1/2" headers are maxed at 400HP.

Obsessed couch potato mechanic, no labor for a few days, and going to get out to play somewhere this weekend!

I've been playing with Desktop Dyno and have figured several ways of getting to 400HP. That is the max not only because that is all that 1-1/2" headers and 2-1/4" downs can handle, but because the TQ levels are close to 500ftlbs, the limits of the drivetrain!

Getting to 400:

A Mild Cam and 6lbs: $1,000 Heavy labor
Meth/H2O injection: $500 Light labor, ongoing as I'd be filling tank all the time driving me nuts in mtns.
Mild Exhaust work and 8lbs: $450 Moderate labor, I'll take 385HP at 7.5lbs running the current pulley.
E85: Ongoing cost, availability issues, and mileage drops by 1/3!

You can see where this is going. I got a plan, I don't need major exhaust work. The most restrictive items that I can take-out are the single Flowmonster chamber muffler and single 3" tailpipe. I am looking at 2 Spintech mufflers with 2-1/2" inlet and outlet, resonators and then turn downs. In the future this stuff could be used with 2 1/2" off-road downpipes, no cats for better scavenging and 400HP.

I am going to order Spintech's, "3000 Sportsman Street Mufflers - 85 to 90 db. Features: * 100 percent welded construction * Spin traps generate vortex flow effect * No packing to burn out * Scientifically calibrated Venturi scavenge gases for dramatic flow increase." The flow will be plenty good and I think the sound, with resonators, will be good for me. They have become more reasonably priced and they have a good series of mufflers for flow and sound levels.

Two of these:
Spintech Muffler.jpg

Two of these:
12 inch Resonators.jpg

Obsessed couch potato mechanic, no labor for a few days, and going to get out to play somewhere this weekend!

I've been playing with Desktop Dyno and have figured several ways of getting to 400HP. That is the max not only because that is all that 1-1/2" headers and 2-1/4" downs can handle, but because the TQ levels are close to 500ftlbs, the limits of the drivetrain!

Getting to 400:

A Mild Cam and 6lbs: $1,000 Heavy labor
Meth/H2O injection: $500 Light labor, ongoing as I'd be filling tank all the time driving me nuts in mtns.
Mild Exhaust work and 8lbs: $450 Moderate labor, I'll take 385HP at 7.5lbs running the current pulley.
E85: Ongoing cost, availability issues, and mileage drops by 1/3!

You can see where this is going. I got a plan, I don't need major exhaust work. The most restrictive items that I can take-out are the single Flowmonster chamber muffler and single 3" tailpipe. I am looking at 2 Spintech mufflers with 2-1/2" inlet and outlet, resonators and then turn downs. In the future this stuff could be used with 2 1/2" off-road downpipes, no cats for better scavenging and 400HP.

I am going to order Spintech's, "3000 Sportsman Street Mufflers - 85 to 90 db. Features: * 100 percent welded construction * Spin traps generate vortex flow effect * No packing to burn out * Scientifically calibrated Venturi scavenge gases for dramatic flow increase." The flow will be plenty good and I think the sound, with resonators, will be good for me. They have become more reasonably priced and they have a good series of mufflers for flow and sound levels.

View attachment 447063
I

You’ll love the dual mufflers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back