Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

You could alter the cat pipes as needed to allow any mufflers or cross over, but that would be about using just two cats, and have those next to the trans. I like that X-pipe, that would be my choice if not for the basic straight pipes there(simpler). The pipe sizes are key and you've figured that out well enough. The X or H changes the sound quality slightly, and the mufflers set the baseline sound. I hope you like how it works out long term.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is much better, thanks! 400HP feels more in reach.

I can get 500HP with a mild cam change, larger headers, and 2-1/2" downs with X crossover. It is legal at this point, well 'cept for the turn downs and it goes real good!

I searched locally for some turn downs/outs and all I found was chrome tips and crinkle cut bent stuff. I ordered these:

Tips.jpg

The unloaded sound of Spintech mufflers and 12" Resonators. I lost a couple vids, trying to work with them. I had the sound of open exhaust with 4 cats and 4 cats plus the spintechs. I'll get a 0-60 when I can and try to post a bit longer vid.

Sounds great imo

Found my sound clips and edited down for here:

Stock, 4 cats no muffler:

New Spintech's with 12" resonators and turn-downs:

Before 3' Single Exhaust:

After 2-1/2 Dual:

Perfect music for
Morning coffee! They should have a sbf exhaust setup radio station!!

I can hear it now

“Sounds of the 70’s, 80’s and beyond”

Ha Ha, sounds good with a sub-woofer!

Early style, quieter, Spintech 3000 Sportsman Street Mufflers - 85 to 90 db, 12" resonators/glasspacks, with turn-downs before the rear axle:

I am going to add a simple "H" pipe. An "H" is supposed to add more torque down low vs an "X" which adds more HP up high. I also read that either will drop the exhaust level a couple decibels.

The trax I’m driving has a simple crossover, just an h built into the pipes. It has dual mustang 4.6 mufflers and true dual exhaust w obx headers and a comp cam…. It sounds proper even for an exhaust built from junk yard bits

sbf just sounds proper
Would be even better w a supercharger ;)

The trax I’m driving has a simple crossover, just an h built into the pipes. It has dual mustang 4.6 mufflers and true dual exhaust w obx headers and a comp cam…. It sounds proper even for an exhaust built from junk yard bits

sbf just sounds proper
Would be even better w a supercharger ;)
Nice!

Black is the new aluminized steel. I didn't like the mufflers being so shiny and visible from the side. Black covers my bodgey welds too, don't look too close:
Exh black 1.jpg

Exh black 2.jpg

Dreaming/Researching???
I found a new favorite cam, Comps XE258HR. This would give great truck power, more duration, even more for exhaust and a bit more lift than stock at .480
Comp XE258HR Specs.jpg

This is the estimated power curves with only 5lbs of boost:
Comp XE258HR.jpg

It would take a minimum of setting-up 2-1/2" downs with this cam in my engine. The headers would come-up short above 400HP or 4,500rpm. The cam provides an increase in HP and torque across the whole curves. It does so while running the blower lightly at only 5lbs. I like that idea which would reduce IAT. It would be fun but..................

Getting real. I decided on a 2-1/2", aluminized, stamped steel X-pipe. It's not as smooth for flow, but I think it will be enough for a while. I may never go for more power which would mean more work, less mileage and an illegal exhaust. I am going to post-up the before and after with X pipe.
aph-axs250_xl.jpg

X with headers stock cam:
308 headers elec fan.jpg

X with headers and XE258HR Cam:
XE258HR 308 headers elec fan.jpg

I got the X pipe added after reworking everything from the cats back. The X-pipe was a bit too narrow to fit in the best place at the end of the downs and before the second cats. It would take more mods and materials I don't have and am willing to do now, maybe later with 2-1/2" downs. I put the 12" resonators first in line and used them to spread the pipes a bit to fit the X-pipe. Then I placed then Spintech mufflers and turn downs. At least the X-pipe is before the most restrictive item, the mufflers.

My butt dyno and hard work says there is a small improvement, or was that the cold air this morning?

Pics
Exhasut 1.jpg
Exhasut 2.jpg
:

Sound:

She has come a long way!

I learned how to compare two builds in DD5. This is a Stock Explorer compared to 7.5lbs of boost in my build:

Stock to Blown.jpg

This is comparing the current build with adding Comps XE258HR, dropping boost to 6lbs and adding 2-1/2" downs:

Blown with XE258 Cam.jpg

My build with Centrifugal vs Twin Screw blower, both at 7lbs:

Centrifugal vs twin screw.jpg

Winter and Ski season will keep me busy, then I hope to do the T-case swap during the muddy part of spring, and then get out for some mild wheeling/camping/etc.

Those are great power curves, all of them for a 2nd gen Explorer; the stock level is still commendable given the weight and exhaust. I love the big torque curve of the PD blower, that 2000rpm peak is wild. That'll move a 4500lbs SUV really well.

Have a good Winter, enjoy that season.

OK, she is a bit loud with the turn downs and smelly on start-up.

I have enjoyed rapping it out with more horsepower at high RPM.

Now, I want tailpipes to move the sound out from under and fumes away. I figure that the two cats, mufflers and resonators are taking a bunch of heat out of the exhaust. That reduces exhaust gas volume greatly. I have ordered two stock, Explorer 5.0 tailpipes. I am not going for any more power, so two stock 2-1/4" tails should work. They may add some low end torque. I need to rework them a bit to work together, but they should fit. The little added resonator would cut sound a bit as well.

51LAA3butMS._AC_SX679_.jpg

Credit someone at Borla: "Heat and Gas – As you go further and further away from the motor exhaust gases cool. As exhaust gases cool, in order to maintain the exhaust velocity, you’ll see exhaust systems that decrease in diameter as they go further and further away from the motor. “The reason for that is because of cooling.”

Poop, we need snow! Well to ski on but how about Snow Performance H2O/Meth Kit?

I wont install an injection kit because I am happy with the power my rig has. An injection kit is not as practical with the hills keeping it in boost so much of the time. I would have to have to run a huge tank!

I had to look at it though. I can get as much power out of an injection kit to cool the aircharge as I could get out of a mild cam swap. The cam swap would also get less gas mileage. This would be assuming I have opened-up or replaced the TMH ball joints and made 2-1/2" downs. It may make enough torque to blow the tranny???

Hey it's fun to look at and amazing what some cooling will do. Desktop Dyno Current Build VS H2O/Meth Injection:

SNOW.jpg

how about Snow Performance H2O/Meth Kit?
We love our progressive boost kit from snow
We have it set to start spraying at 3 psi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, she is a bit loud with the turn downs and smelly on start-up.

I have enjoyed rapping it out with more horsepower at high RPM.

Now, I want tailpipes to move the sound out from under and fumes away. I figure that the two cats, mufflers and resonators are taking a bunch of heat out of the exhaust. That reduces exhaust gas volume greatly. I have ordered two stock, Explorer 5.0 tailpipes. I am not going for any more power, so two stock 2-1/4" tails should work. They may add some low end torque. I need to rework them a bit to work together, but they should fit. The little added resonator would cut sound a bit as well.

View attachment 448721

Credit someone at Borla: "Heat and Gas – As you go further and further away from the motor exhaust gases cool. As exhaust gases cool, in order to maintain the exhaust velocity, you’ll see exhaust systems that decrease in diameter as they go further and further away from the motor. “The reason for that is because of cooling.”

Did you price tail pipes, what's the price range?

I had a lady hit me in the right rear last week, and it snagged the tail pipe that was sticking down. Now the pipe is bent near the clamp almost 90* there, so it's pinched a lot. I've got an adjuster coming next week, and I wonder what the cost might be versus just repairing it at home.

Back