Will Maually Shifting the Transfer Case Hurt My 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will Maually Shifting the Transfer Case Hurt My 4x4?

ND Explorer

Reaction score
:bounce:

My electric motor went out in my 91 xlt, I am currently on a hunting trip and have very little time to do the rebuild. My question is, for the next couple days can I manually shift the transfer case without hurting anything, I'm thinking of just putting it in 4x4 hi first thing when I get to gravel roads and leaving it in all day then shifting it back when I hit the highway at night. Also, I'm assuming that manually shifting will not make the dash lights come on, and I'll be able to tell that it's locked in by feel. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can shift it that way for the rest of your life if you really want to. Nothing will be damaged. You are doing what the eletronic motor does manually.

How do you shift it manually????

The shift motor only shifts the transferr case between hi and low. normally when in 2wd the transfer case motor is in the hi position. when 4wheeling it still stays there until you go to 4lo, then it will shift to lo. There are some viscous coupled clutches in the front of the transfer case that actually engage the front drive line. There is also a solenoid that works in conjunction with the clutches.
To shift manually from hi to lo. remove the motor and turn the shaft from where it points to hi, to where it points to lo. You will notice a "N" inbetween the "hi" and "low", moving the shaft to that position will put your transfer case into neutral position and neither drive shafts will be powered. This allows your truck to be towed. Ford will charge you 50 bucks to add a switch the hooks into the harness that will cause the shift motor to go to the neutral position. You can do this yourself by taking off the shift motor and moving the shaft to the "N" position.

Ray, he's got a 91, an actual transfercase, no clutches or computer controlled crap. Its just as easy as CoryL said.

Yes, on explorers with the 1354, the transfercase switches between 2wd, 4-high, and 4-low.

Thank You! I think I'll be rebuilding that stupid motor pretty quickly, it's no fun crawling under that damn truck!

Originally posted by Byrd91
Ray, he's got a 91, an actual transfercase, no clutches or computer controlled crap. Its just as easy as CoryL said.

Duh! I guess I should look at the signature huh.
Yea all that stuff I said was for the 2nd gen Explorers.
Sorry:confused:

Back