Will these wheels work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will these wheels work?

I have some 17x9 Cobra R wheels from my Cobra that I would like to put on the Explorer. Anyone with a Mustang will know what wheels I am talking about. They have the same bolt pattern. Will these wheels work? Is there anything to worry about like using a wheel that was meant for a Mustang on a 4x4 Explorer? I don't do any kind of off-roading or anything like that, hell, I couldn't bare to see any dirt on it, let alone mud.:)

I started researching tires to fit these wheels and keep the overall diameter the same as the stock 255/70/16. I came up with either the 275/60/17 or the 285/60/17. Which size should I use?

Thanks, Jason

P.S. - I can post a pic of the wheels if anyone would like to see them. I think they will look sweet and go perfect with the fender flares.

yes they will definetly fit. From what I understand though, you need to put a spacer on the front wheels to eliminate rubbing. If you search cobra rs, there is a multitude of threads about these wheels. Quite a few guys have them on their rides. Hope this helped, good luck
Jason

Yes they will work, Explorer Express has them and put those on their Explorer X's, and I think it requires a 3/16 spacer on the front.

Jmeiers, one of the tire size might be too wide...285/60/17. correct me if am worng anybody. I know explorer express strictly uses the 275/5517 which is around a inch shorter than the stock 30.5 inch

Back