• Register Today It's free!

Winch w/ stock bumpers-PICS

Hossexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Baker City, OR.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Ok, I've been searching for a long time how to keep my stock bumpers and have a winch. (I like my brush guard on my stock bumper.) I did want a removeable winch, But the only option I saw was to buy the 'hidden hitch' set up that hangs way tooo low below the bumper. So I built my own... not sure if this has been done before but never seen it, so i'll post it for everyone else thinking the same thing.

First I went to the junkyard and got a classIV rear hitch from an '88 F250 for $40. All I did was cut and reweld it to the correct length to fit in between the front frame rails. The mounting plates surprisingly already had holes drilled that fit in the explorer frame openings.:) As you can see in the second pic, I had to torch out some small sections for the bumper mounting plates. I purchased a removable winch mounting plate from ebay for $80, oh and had a Chicago electric 10,000lb winch sitting around. Tell me what you think!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here you must torch out the corners to fit around the bumper mounting plates.

Here I cut the bumper opening with a grinder to fit the receiver as high as possible, may have been able to go higher but not sure, it was a tight fit! I know the hole is ugly, but I had to cut it wide to fit the locking reciever pin in..

Here it is all assembled

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you did one heck of a job!!! Nice work on setting up your winch and keeping the stock look!!! :biggthump

Hey great job. The changes are barely noticeable when it is not on

Very cool!

Thanks for the great idea. It really looks good. I will be on the look-out at the local Pull-Apart for the Front Receiver Hitch for the F250.

They sell front hitches for Explorers and winches that plug into them.but nice custom job!

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!:)

The reason I made my own, was the reciever from 'Hidden Hitch' hangs way below the bumper and I didn't want the winch to hit the ground on steep aproaches so I built it higher up into the bumper.

-Also the 'Hidden Hitch' brand reciever costs almost $200. mine cost me $40:D

Gotca.just didnt know if you knew they made them.looks great;)

Back