• Register Today It's free!

Winch worth it???

sparkyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Limited AWD 5.0L
So I realize that I could go and drop like $1,400 for brand new Warn 12k powerplant (Drool), but do I need that at my age with my rig? Prolly not, I am 18 but and I use my X as a DD but do offroad it a bit, (would like more and plan to) So the winch doesn't have to pull a semi, won't get used daily, and doesn't have to pull me at 20 mph...

So I have looked around and I found some on Ebay, (Yes, I know it's ebay). They have a 8k but for the price why not go to 10k and just put less stress on it...

So before I tell you the name or price here are the listed specs...
5.6HP 12V electric 10000 lb winch
Advanced 3 stage planetary gear train
Automatic load holding brake
Power in and Power out operation
Low profile free spooling actuator
Heavy duty wound dc motor
Complete with Solenoid
Complete with 2 guage battery cables
Complete with heavy duty roller fairlead
Complete with controller with 12' lead
Industry Standard 10 by 4 1/2 inch mount bolt pattern
Clutch: Sliding Ring Gear
Braking Action:Automatic In-The-Drum
Drum size: Diameter2.5" Length 8.8"
Cable:94ft of 21/64" diameter
Fairlead:4-Way Roller Fairlead
Remote Control:Included
Battery:Recommended:650CCA minimum for winching
Battery Leads:2 gauge,72"
Weight:N.W.84lbs G.W. 94lbs
Overall dimentions: (L×W×H)21.3"×6.3"×8.6"
Mounting Bolt Pattern:10 INCHES BY 4 1/2 INCHES
Pull, Speed, Amps, First Layer)
Line Pull/Line Speed FPM/(Amps)
0/22.0ft/80
4000 LBS/11.5ft/170
6000 LBS/9.2ft/220
8000 LBS/7.8ft/280
10000 LBS/6.5ft/340
Line Pull And Rope Capacity In Layer
Layer/Rated Line Pull/Tatal Rope On Drum (ft)
1/10000 LBS/19.6
2/8000 LBS/ 42.6
3/6670 LBS/ 72.0

The only thing that I can't find on teh 10k is the gear reduction, on their 8k it says 235:1, the 9k says 218:1, and 9.5k says 265.2:1, and the 12k says 265:1

Hmmm...from that it seems ok

The name is a Vortex Brute 10000 and off of Ebay with shipping I can have to to my door for $350 and they say thats with a 2 yr. warranty

Here is a link, http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10000-LB-RE...goryZ310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So what do you guys think? Should I be the lab rat and try this out?
Seller has a 97.8% positive on 18,389 Feedbacks...

or if anybody has a 8k or 10k, warn or other brand winch for about $350 shipped to 80534 let me know...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I save up for a Warn or atleast a the Warn re-branded Tabor. I've seen Milemarker & Chinese clones burn up after one day of medium to hard use. Take a look at the Warn XD8000 or XD9000 or any of the 8K-9K winches.

4WheelParts usually has Warn 8000 for $525. Also take a look at the Smittybilt 8000 winch , 4WP has those for $300 and are pretty good.

I am going to just save up and spend my tax money on the Warn PowerPlant HP. Quality does matter, especial when out on the trail - you sure want your winch to work.

Thanks, That was some of the responses I have been looking for...
I think I am going to keep my eye out for some specials, and maybe wish for one from santa :D

It doesnt look that bad but I would also go with a Warn, Tabor or T-Max over that one. 10,000 is overkill for the Explorer, I would go with a 9000.

Warn makes a great, quality winch and you cant go wrong in buying one. I use a XD9000i on my Explorer. I decided to cheap out somewhat in buying a winch for my dedicated crawler rig and went with a T-Max winch. I have been very pleased with the T-max as well and they are becoming more popular since I bought mine. It has good line speed and is durable. I have had my crawler hanging on by the winch many times. The only downfall is the remote on the T-Max, it is not as durable as the Warn remote.

So I see that the tabor have been said a few times, and I have came across those prior to this...So I took a look for some, I like the size and am ok with the look of the 9k tabor and I think that I might of found one (waiting for respones)

I am looking towards the Smittybilt X8 8000 or a Tabor.

Proven fact that people with winches will go places people without wont

Tim

Well said
$500-$800 lighter, only can they can go further because their wallets are
yoda.gif

prove me wrong:p::p:;)

Winch required.

:D

Attachments

• asylum big fall.JPG
    asylum big fall.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,040

Nice, picture...

prove me wrong:p::p:;)
Plus technically a winch is added weight to the vehicle which means it is technically (especially in the buggy/competition world) slightly more difficult for a vehicle with a winch to climb.

unless the winch weight provides extra traction. Or the addition of the winch to suck up suspension gives significant gains to override and ill effects from the weight.

:p:

(BTW Mr. Obama, have you gotten Oprah in the sack yet?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back