Winding noise in 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winding noise in 4x4?

Nappeal

Reaction score
Something in my front end is going out in my 92, and I'm not sure if its a joint or axle, but I'll find out in the next week...that said, in 4 wheel, I get a nasty thump/pop on the driver side when turning tight. When accelerating or coming to a stop, the front end makes a winding noise; sounds like plane propellers starting up & coming to a stop. I heard this could be the transfer case or the U joint, but its gotten to be worrisome the more I've absolutely had to use 4x4. We got a 18" of snow overnight, so 4wheel is a little necessary today and I've been reminded of this problem...

Anyway, I'm getting the front end checked out soon, but I'm curious what the opinion is as to what's going on, and whether or not I should avoid using 4wheel @ all costs...thanks guys!

What did you find out?
Sounds like a 'U' joint on the drivers side axle.

Agreed. Sounds like the axle U-joints are dry/binding and in need of replacment. As far as running it in 4x4, IMO I guess if I had to I would? Better to have a possible broken axle then a smashed truck... I just wldnt make any reals sharp turns.

Back