• Register Today It's free!

Winding Sound 4.0 (Video)

BamaRaised

Reaction score
City, State
Heflin, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer 4.0
I have been trying to track down a noticable winding sound at idle. The sound gets louder as rpms increase until the engine drowns it out while driving. I have already replaced the tensioner, and idler pulley up top. The vehicle has 160,000 miles so I shot off the parts cannon thinking those parts probably needed replacing, and it would most likely fix it. I was wrong. It has gotten progressively worse over time. Any advice would be appreciated.

I increase the rpms around the 1:00 mark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple things you can check are power steering fluid if its low (it may be slightly from what i can see from the video) or it could be the alternator making the noise. if its the alternator making the noise it could be caused by a bad battery. one test is you can do is remove the drive belt from the vehicle and start the engine. WARNING do not run the engine for very long with the drive belt removed you will cause damage! run it just long enough to see if the noise is there or not. while the belt is off and engine is off spin the alternator and power steering pump by hand and see if there is any noise or play that could indicate a bearing issue.

let us know what you find.

A mechanic's stethoscope can help pinpoint the source of noises. They can be had for cheap off Amazon.

Couple things you can check are power steering fluid if its low (it may be slightly from what i can see from the video) or it could be the alternator making the noise. if its the alternator making the noise it could be caused by a bad battery. one test is you can do is remove the drive belt from the vehicle and start the engine. WARNING do not run the engine for very long with the drive belt removed you will cause damage! run it just long enough to see if the noise is there or not. while the belt is off and engine is off spin the alternator and power steering pump by hand and see if there is any noise or play that could indicate a bearing issue.

let us know what you find.
I pulled the serpentine belt today, and the noise was still present. When I walked around to the driver's side of the engine bay, it became apparent that the winding sound was coming from the back half of the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the backside facing the firewall. Not having anything in the belt drive running made the direction of the sound much more clear to me.

This has me a bit concerned, because I don't know of anything back there that could be making that sound, that isn't internal. It has the sound of a bearing on the way out, or something to that effect. Could this have something to do with the timing chain?

A mechanic's stethoscope can help pinpoint the source of noises. They can be had for cheap off Amazon.
I have a cheap harbor freight stethoscope that I used when I was trying to find the sound. I ended up replacing the top idler pulley because the sound was the loudest there. The bearings in it were dry after inspection so maybe that's why it was a little louder there. It was the first time I have ever used one, so I'm a rookie.

I pulled the serpentine belt today, and the noise was still present. When I walked around to the driver's side of the engine bay, it became apparent that the winding sound was coming from the back half of the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the backside facing the firewall. Not having anything in the belt drive running made the direction of the sound much more clear to me.

This has me a bit concerned, because I don't know of anything back there that could be making that sound, that isn't internal. It has the sound of a bearing on the way out, or something to that effect. Could this have something to do with the timing chain?
i don't think its timing chain related that would be more of a knocking sound or ticking sound that would be worse upon acceleration. now comes the bad news because you say its rear of the engine the only thing i can think of is it's transmission related. start by checking the fluid level and condition. if the fluid is low the pump could be sucking air. look up youtube a videos on how to check a 5r55s transmission fluid level there is as there is no dipstick. if the fluid is low you should have noticed some sort of shifting issues.

i don't think its timing chain related that would be more of a knocking sound or ticking sound that would be worse upon acceleration. now comes the bad news because you say its rear of the engine the only thing i can think of is it's transmission related. start by checking the fluid level and condition. if the fluid is low the pump could be sucking air. look up youtube a videos on how to check a 5r55s transmission fluid level there is as there is no dipstick. if the fluid is low you should have noticed some sort of shifting issues.
The sound does become louder as you increase rpms in park, and while driving, until it's gets to the point where the engine/road noise drowns it out. If you start the video around the 1 minute mark I increase the rpms and the winding sound gets noticably louder. No shifting issues lately, but I'll check the level to be sure. I appreciate the suggestion!

Torque converter/trans.
My 2006 has been doing that noise for 5 years now
My 2002 had a rattling torque convertor all the time I owned it. I took it to a local reputable transmission shop and the guy told me that TC was fine and didn't need replaced unless I couldn't live with the rattle. I drove it for 70k trouble free miles before I sold it and the transmission was still working like new. The noise would go away when the torque convertor would lock up in the overdrive gears.

Mine does it
Took me a while to figure it out

Torque converter/trans.
My 2006 has been doing that noise for 5 years now
Does the noise go away for you after you drive for a bit? I noticed that if I drive like 3-5 miles it goes away completely while driving or in park.

Yes after a few miles or after reaching full temperature I don’t notice it

no belt and whining from rear of engine......torque converter. At 160k have you had the tranny serviced? DO NOT FLUSH the tranny, simple drain and fill (yes a PITA on these but worth it on these trannys)

Sounds to me like your fan clutch may be engaging when it is not supposed to be. I am currently having this issue and I suspect a bad or incorrect coolant temperature sensor is causing it.

Sounds to me like your fan clutch may be engaging when it is not supposed to be. I am currently having this issue and I suspect a bad or incorrect coolant temperature sensor is causing it.
Mine is not the fan, totally different sound, and much louder if u lay under truck under front seat

Back