• Register Today It's free!

wind whistle from firewall area

jmclark45

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer base model
My 2010 Explorer has started a whistle type noise coming from the dash/firewall area drivers side. It appears to be speed (wind speed) and temp related. It just started last winter speed between 50 and 70 with temps in same range. When temp increases noise stops. The noise is not a normal wind leak noise but more like the sound of a flute. Actually very much like the sound if you hold a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow and the blade of grass acts like a reed. Vehicle has 60,000 miles, whistle is not constant it comes and goes. More noticeable on a windy day. As temp goes up it is less frequent. Two weeks ago it started just as I crossed into Ohio but as we headed south and temp rose noise decreased. It stopped by Findley and we heard no more until we returned from South Carolina and we hit the cooler northern Ohio temps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you. I chrcked this is not a hiss and it is not vacuum related. I did a Google search and some have suggested it may be a windshield seal issue, however their comments always referred to high temperature (90°) plus high speed (50-70) or higher. Mine seem to disappear as the temp goes above 60. But I will continue to check.

This could be an hvac vacuum leak, There was a post recently about a vacuum valve in the engine compartment.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3290329#post3290329

See if this leads you anywhere.

I have the whistle too. It's definately not a vacuum leak. It only occurs when at highway speeds (60-80 mph) and when there is a crosswind coming from the passenger side of vehicle.

Window seal is ok. All plastic pieces are solid.

It started happening when I tightened the hood after noticing it was a bit wobbly when driving in high winds; I thought the lactch would give and the hood would rip off. I tightened down the hood where it is closest to the windshield. Rock solid now.....

I guess the wind now hits the hood at a certain angle from the side and creates a whistle.

I've tried everything....... Now I just embrace the heavenly sound.

2007 XLT V6
2WDR

Cracked catalytic converter, they whistle like crazy!

You can look it up on youtube to see if its that type of whistle. I know these trucks are known for aerodynamic issues that cause whistling too. That said, there is a catalytic converter below your feet and forward a bit of the driver.

Not too sure how you could test this theory though, maybe an exhaust check place could tell you if the emissions were out of range. That might be a good indicator. Or maybe if you can somehow jiggle it and hear if it clanks around inside the housing.

Thanks PZY but it is definitely coming from the front.
Wicked, thanks I forgot to include the noise is affected by crosswinds. I never thought of the hood, I'll check into that. On Google search I found a couple comments that they taped the windshield seal and that stopped it. But since mine is really intermittent it may be tough to figure out but you have given me something else to look at. Thanks.

Just a suggestion, but remove the cross bars on your roof rack and see if you notice a difference... I just added cross bars to mine and it whistles like crazy... It's annoying as heck...

Back