Solved - Window Motor (Update FIXT) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Window Motor (Update FIXT)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
^^^^ maybe …OR could be that a twenty five plus year old motor sitting in salvage is superior to the aftermarket parts…

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket window motors sometimes run at a different speed than the stock one. If it's faster, then it will have less torque, strength, and be easier to stop or lock up over time. They also often require a wiring adapter, or the drive gear doesn't line up well with the regulator gear. I prefer the OEM motors, they usually will last the life of the vehicle. The plastic gear drive parts inside are made to be the weak links, so they fail and the motor survives. Then you just need to replace those few plastic parts, such as the drive pucks, cleaned out and put back in, they usually work like new, for another 10-20 years.

Are the bushings/pucks the same for the 2nd Gen as the 1st? I think our '97 Mountaineer needs them. Pretty sure I have a set left from when I replaced them in my '89 BII or '94 Explorer years ago. Just gotta find them.

Are the bushings/pucks the same for the 2nd Gen as the 1st? I think our '97 Mountaineer needs them. Pretty sure I have a set left from when I replaced them in my '89 BII or '94 Explorer years ago. Just gotta find them.

Yes, the three pucks are the same, all parts stores carry them for about $7. I just replaced a set of those in the right front door of my 98 Explorer.

After more than 20 years, all of those pucks should be replaced(in every window motor).

^ If you keep the window tract lubed, they can last indefinitely... They are just a failsafe in case something else goes wrong.

Back