windows only work from drivers door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windows only work from drivers door

weh87

Reaction score
City, State
scottsboro, alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mounty 5.0
1999 mounty. all of my windows will only roll down from drivers doors. i flipped the lock switch with no luck. any ideas? can i just bypass the lock somehow? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe you should replace the switch, it could have gone bad.

Got the same problem in my `99 AWD... There is a rocker switch (child lock) on the driver's side panel by the window switches that has probably gone bad. Haven't had the chance to do it on mine yet, but basically if you slowly move the switch one way or ther other it will make contact at some point so you can diagnose it down to this switch.

Good luck!

Likely either the lockout switch within the window switch assembly is broken, or a wire in the door bundle is broken. Easiest way to test switch is to get another switch assembly at a JY. It is possible to disassemble the switch assembly, but it is a PITA.

Drivers Door Window Switch - 1998 Explorer 4 Door

Help! I have the same problem. I can only work the windows from the drivers door. I have replaced the master window switch thinking that the problem was a faulty child lock switch. It did not work. Does anyone have a detailed schematic of the window wiring? My Chiltons Manual does not include it. Any ideas?

All 3 non driver windows receive power from the driver window switch when the lock is off. Power leaves the driver switch to the other three windows on a red/light blue wire. First see if you have power leaving the switch on this wire. If you do, the switch is good. Then follow this wire and look for a break in it. A common break point is in the bundle of wires between the drivers door and the frame of the car.

Firepop5 is correct!

Yes, you are correct. That wire was broken. Thank you very much for the reply! Still not any easy fix. Those wires are difficult to get at but I am on the middle of soldering in a new piece. It broke right right at the door jamb.

Thank you!!!

Back