• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Bottom Molding

kdog

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 LTD
Has anyone had to replace the weather strip/molding at the BOTTOM of their windshields?

I'm trying to find there part here body--glass-windshield but can't seem to find the bottom strip. It's between the plastic piece holding windshield wipers and the windshield itself. Mine is crumbling apart in large chunks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issue with my 2011 Limited.
I cant help with your quest for the right part....sorry, but
I did a temporary "fix" with black Gorilla tape. I dont like admitting it, but that "fix" has become permanent.

I had mine replaced under warranty when I had my 16 XLT.

Let me see if I can find the info.

I had the same issue with my 2011 Limited.
I cant help with your quest for the right part....sorry, but
I did a temporary "fix" with black Gorilla tape. I dont like admitting it, but that "fix" has become permanent.

Isn't that how all temporary fixes end up? :)

Sorry it took me a bit.

This is the part number that was replaced.

BB5Z-78022A68-AA. Windshield cowl grille.

Yes, that's it!

I actually looked at it again today and realized the strip is part of that whole assembly, not a separate molding (see attachment).

I also learned today after a few days of no A/C that my evaporator and compressor are shot. :-\ I guess 10 years and 130K+ miles is a good run until major repairs?

Upgrade or fix, that's the question. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 209

Thanks for posting that picture.

Peter

2012 Explorer has a lower weatherproofing (around windshield base / around wiper motors) that is literally crumbling and flying off...

what is part name? Source? Easy job?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2FD856F2-64FA-445B-ABA9-A601511DB85C.jpeg
    2FD856F2-64FA-445B-ABA9-A601511DB85C.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 197

2012 Explorer has a lower weatherproofing (around windshield base / around wiper motors) that is literally crumbling and flying off...

what is part name? Source? Easy job?

thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. I think you'll find what you need here in post #7.

Peter

I still need this part but pretty much every parts outlet I've checked charges ~3x the cost of the product for shipping it to me. Does anyone know of a reputable parts dealer that has decent shipping rates to Hawaii?

Which outlets have you talked to or checked? No sense recommending ones you've already looked into.

Which outlets have you talked to or checked? No sense recommending ones you've already looked into.
Too many to list. Lakeland and pretty much every other Ford parts site. I just found one and ordered from Wheeler Fleet Solutions for $25 2-day shipping. We'll see if they contact me to laugh at me. Haha.

Have you checked AutoNation Ford or Levittown Ford?

Peter

Have you checked AutoNation Ford or Levittown Ford?

Peter

Yeah, AutoNation was:
  • Subtotal Amount: $280.24
  • Estimated shipping to HI : $457.84

haha

It looks like the Wheeler order might work out. Thank you!

This is an old thread, but since I just replaced mine, I will share a couple things.

1. FordParts.com had a special on free shipping. I had to find a dealer in the same state, but the shipping did truly ring up as free. Don't know how often that occurs on FordParts.com. They also had the option for free pickup at a 'local' dealership.
2. A small puller is needed to remove the windshield wiper arms. Just because you found a youtube of someone that managed to get them off, don't skimp on this. Ford intended them to be removed with a puller. Wiggling them off will cause other issues with the alignment in the wiper arms. The puller is fair inexpensive and available at automotive supply stores. Try to take care to put the wiper arms back exactly as they came off to keep the alignment the same.
3. Replacement of the cowl is extremely easy once the wiper arms are off. Only other 'special' tool needed is the trim fastener remover, but you can get them off without damage with a Phillips and flat head screwdriver since you can push up on them from underneath with your finger.

Mine started vibrating in the wind after about 40 mph. Had it replaced by dealership under the premium warranty which still has a year left. Not too bad a deductible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back